Skimpy silicone a problem? (Nano)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andamaite
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Andamaite

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2025
Messages
85
Reaction score
107
Location
Oklahoma
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank in question is a standard 5.5gl. It held water for around three years and went through cleaning and a leak test with no issues.

That said: this thing has the least amount of silicone I have ever seen used on a tank. I have a 2.5 with normal seams, and side by side it's ... Well, enough of a difference to have me posting about it

IMG_20260206_125227851~2.jpg

I couldn't find anything in searching to tell me whether it's going to be an issue on a tank this small so I figured I'd ask.

Do we think it's safe enough to use or is it toast?
 
The only silicone that matters is what is actually between the two panes of glass. All the extra that is smoothed out along the edge serves no purpose if that's what your referring to. Its called flash or flashing I believe. I've had it peel off of many tanks and I just trim it with a razor blade. Some tank have a lot others not so much.
 
The space between panes is maybe a single millimeter. I assume that's probably good enough for 50lbs of water and rock. (And if not ... I'll find out!!)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new