Skip the dip - Who do you trust?

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one... I always dip, even if the coral is half dead on arrival I’d rather it not make it from the stress than risk exposing the others to something. I also do quite a bit over the recommended dose of coral rx For 10 minutes while aggressively blasting them with a turkey bastor.

My reefing friend always says even if Jesus Christ walked up to him and whipped a coral up before his very eyes- he’d still dip it!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dip corals using coral rx pro 1 syringe full in a 1/4 gallon for 7 mins. I do this to ALL corals even my own...I just put some corals nin one of my other reefs from my main display and I dipped every single one of them.

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer, but I cannot impress enough the need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse...... I wiped out all my inverts when I was not as attentive as I should have been in dipping coral. I had a beautiful Pistol shrimp that I sent into a neuro-spasms!!!!! I have never felt so bad......

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only not dipped once. That being said, there is way more bad stuff on corals that dipping is not going to fix. If you want to be safe, you need a coral quarantine tank which isn't feasible in most of our cases. The other choice is to dip, separate, and reglue on new plug.

becka670

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought from WWC recently and did the 24 hour later dip as they recommended. I did not see anything come off when I dipped the next day. I hope it wasn't a mistake!

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little thread. As a retired surgeon “The solution to pollution is dilution”. I dip everything. One cap into one quart tank water. I also drip acclimate. During that time shake the hell out of em. Take them out one at a time and inspect under light. Usually toothbrush them. Shake for 15 seconds in soap. 15 seconds in RO water to shake off soap than on to isolated frag rack in QT two weeks. Few years

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral rx. 10-15min. Everything gets dipped no matter who it came from.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only not dipped once. That being said, there is way more bad stuff on corals that dipping is not going to fix. If you want to be safe, you need a coral quarantine tank which isn't feasible in most of our cases. The other choice is to dip, separate, and reglue on new plug.
Why is a coral quarantine not feasible? It’s so easy to get a 10 gallon tank, hang on back filter and cheap light.

I would never put a coral in my tank that hasn’t gone through quarantine at least 45 days. Dipping before during and after quarantine in both Bayer and coral rx. Also replacing or scrubbing frag plugs.

Fishy Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all my corals and found some creatures that I did not expect on occasion. Perhaps some may have been harmless but I don't want to take chances. I use ReVive for up to 10 minutes.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is a coral quarantine not feasible? It’s so easy to get a 10 gallon tank, hang on back filter and cheap light.

I would never put a coral in my tank that hasn’t gone through quarantine at least 45 days. Dipping before during and after quarantine in both Bayer and coral rx. Also replacing or scrubbing frag plugs.

Well, it is way more expensive than a fish quarantine tank when you figure stability/dosing and lighting. When my nitrates went up to 75, I had to pull my SPS frags out into a 14g. While I didn't lose any and the water quality was better than where they can from, I did not dose and relied on weekly water changes which probably stressed them out a lot. I already had a new G5 on the tank so I didn't have to worry about that. I don't think I could do that on a consistent basis especially at the rate I've been buying.

I think ideally I'd have a quarantine tank plumbed to my display with some heavy duty UV on the return to the DT.

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is way more expensive than a fish quarantine tank when you figure stability/dosing and lighting. When my nitrates went up to 75, I had to pull my SPS frags out into a 14g. While I didn't lose any and the water quality was better than where they can from, I did not dose and relied on weekly water changes which probably stressed them out a lot. I already had a new G5 on the tank so I didn't have to worry about that. I don't think I could do that on a consistent basis especially at the rate I've been buying.

I think ideally I'd have a quarantine tank plumbed to my display with some heavy duty UV on the return to the DT.
That would completely defeat the purpose of a QT.

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip.

Trust.gif

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do a 10% (1 gallon) water change twice a week. Once with new salt water and once with display tank water.

with proper lighting and flow, you can set it up for under $150. Considering the cost of some corals, it’s great insurance.

I just spotted aiptasia on a frag in quarantine this morning as a matter of fact. The time I spend caring for the QT is much less frustrating than time I would spend hunting pests in my DT.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything. Except what I got from wwc. I even dumped the water in my tank they were shipped in as I wanted any microbes and bacteria it may have had. This was after a inspection.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned this lesson the hard way. I dipped some of my new corals but didn’t dip some from places I trusted. Ended up with aefw and had to break all the frags off the rocks and dip them weekly. Please don’t be lazy like me! It’s a lot more work to get rid of pest than to spend 15 min dipping up front!

Last edited:

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned this lesson the hard way. I dipped some of my new corals but didn’t dip some from places I trusted. Ended up with aefw and had to break all the frags off the rocks and dip them weekly. Please don’t be lazy like me! It’s a lot more work to get rid of pest than to spend 15 min dipping up front!
75BC247E-C39A-49D8-B15A-3F6CB2C14552.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back