Skittles cyphastrea

Discussion in 'General LPS Discussion' started by Brooks Allman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman Active Member

my skittles cyphastrea was doing really well and growing under the ledge into the shade. Now it’s started to grow into the light but all the area that basically gets no light is skeleton. What should I do?

7B0FD698-C011-456A-9E9A-AFBA40BFF77C.jpeg

Tags:

2. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019

This will happen with just about any photosynthetic stony coral that gets shaded. Your choice is usually either 1) remove what's throwing the shade (not really possible here), 2) add additional lights (if you're using a focal light source like a Radion or Hydra, then adding a more diffuse light like some T5s might help), or 3) just live with it.

DSC reef, mta_morrow and Brad Miller like this.
  3. Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman Active Member

I gotcha. I just thought it was strange that it grew there with the same light as now and then is all of the sudden dying.

4. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019

Badly shaded areas of corals will continue living for awhile with very low level light but sooner or later the polyps disappear from those areas and the tissue, what's left of it, gets thin and white.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. rkpetersen

I forgot to mention, when you place new frags in your tank, it's a good idea to imagine how they'll try to grow from each potential placement location. Slopes are fine as long as the slope is lit. Most corals won't grow very far into an underhang, for example.

This started as a cyphastrea frag placed near the bottom of a dimly (but fairly uniformly) lit slope. Notice how nicely it's grown along the wall, but just stops at every point where it runs into shadow.

IMG_5996b.jpg

DSC reef and mta_morrow like this.
  6. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Very nice piece!

DSC reef and rkpetersen like this.
  7. JohnMzreef

JohnMzreef Member

what exactly is a "skittles" coral?

8. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Skittles is not a coral. It was given the name by a vendor to represent its colors. The coral is cyphastrea

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  9. JohnMzreef

JohnMzreef Member

Sorry I wasn't clear... what color(s) is "skittles" supposed to be?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I don't want to derail the OP's thread by posting pics. Just google skittles cyphastrea

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted