Skittles cyphastrea

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my skittles cyphastrea was doing really well and growing under the ledge into the shade. Now it’s started to grow into the light but all the area that basically gets no light is skeleton. What should I do?

7B0FD698-C011-456A-9E9A-AFBA40BFF77C.jpeg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will happen with just about any photosynthetic stony coral that gets shaded. Your choice is usually either 1) remove what's throwing the shade (not really possible here), 2) add additional lights (if you're using a focal light source like a Radion or Hydra, then adding a more diffuse light like some T5s might help), or 3) just live with it.

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will happen with just about any photosynthetic stony coral that gets shaded. Your choice is usually either 1) remove what's throwing the shade (not really possible here), 2) add additional lights (if you're using a focal light source like a Radion or Hydra, then adding a more diffuse light like some T5s might help), or 3) just live with it.
I gotcha. I just thought it was strange that it grew there with the same light as now and then is all of the sudden dying.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha. I just thought it was strange that it grew there with the same light as now and then is all of the sudden dying.

Badly shaded areas of corals will continue living for awhile with very low level light but sooner or later the polyps disappear from those areas and the tissue, what's left of it, gets thin and white.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, when you place new frags in your tank, it's a good idea to imagine how they'll try to grow from each potential placement location. Slopes are fine as long as the slope is lit. Most corals won't grow very far into an underhang, for example.

This started as a cyphastrea frag placed near the bottom of a dimly (but fairly uniformly) lit slope. Notice how nicely it's grown along the wall, but just stops at every point where it runs into shadow.

IMG_5996b.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, when you place new frags in your tank, it's a good idea to imagine how they'll try to grow from each potential placement location. Slopes are fine as long as the slope is lit. Most corals won't grow very far into an underhang, for example.

This started as a cyphastrea frag placed near the bottom of a dimly (but fairly uniformly) lit slope. Notice how nicely it's grown along the wall, but just stops at every point where it runs into shadow.

IMG_5996b.jpg
Very nice piece!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back