Skunk Cleaner Shrimp molting

TheClemsonKid20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a skunk cleaner shrimp from the LFS about a month ago. He molted once after about two weeks, and he’s already molted again last night. From what I’ve read it said that they should only be molting about once a month. But I also read that younger shrimp can molt a lot more often.

So I guess I am trying to figure out a few things here. First off, are these shrimp generally “young” when sold? Could this just be the fact the shrimp is young and two molts in a month isn’t anything to worry about?

Or, is there something off in the tank that’s causing him to molt more often than he should be? Everything else in the tank is flourishing and just fine...

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a skunk cleaner shrimp from the LFS about a month ago. He molted once after about two weeks, and he’s already molted again last night. From what I’ve read it said that they should only be molting about once a month. But I also read that younger shrimp can molt a lot more often.

So I guess I am trying to figure out a few things here. First off, are these shrimp generally “young” when sold? Could this just be the fact the shrimp is young and two molts in a month isn’t anything to worry about?

Or, is there something off in the tank that’s causing him to molt more often than he should be? Everything else in the tank is flourishing and just fine...
Nothing to worry about its growing!!!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sounds fine, mine molt fairly fast when new, It gets less as they get bigger, 3-4 weeks when they are bigger is about the rate.

yes they tend to be very young when bought, maybe 1.5 inches in body, they soon grow to around 4 inches in body.

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a skunk cleaner in my tank for almost 3 years, when I first got him he molted 2-3 times a month just because of how much he was growing. He's still doing great. I wouldn't worry unless you start to see him not eating or grazing your rocks as frequently and standing in one spot stressed. If this is the case it could be from copper medications and I would run some carbon to flush it out of your tank.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a skunk cleaner in my tank for almost 3 years, when I first got him he molted 2-3 times a month just because of how much he was growing. He's still doing great. I wouldn't worry unless you start to see him not eating or grazing your rocks as frequently and standing in one spot stressed. If this is the case it could be from copper medications and I would run some carbon to flush it out of your tank.

I agree but would add they tend not to eat before a molt and after, so don't stress if he stops eating for a day or two, just check he has molted, they can stay in one place for a while too, if not just molted or getting ready to molt add food or your finger and he should kick into action.

Unless you have a big tank and feed a lot, I would target feed the shrimp, I feed mine everyday.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you newly acquire any crustaceans and your water parameters differ from where you got it from, they will often molt. For whatever reason, new water parameters can force early molts (and in certain cases this can be bad, like when someone doses iodine because they were mislead to believe that crustaceans need them in high concentrations to properly molt, but usually its no big deal). Consider it an adjustment period. It could also be this and a combination of a young shrimp like many have stated.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I acquired my first cleaner shrimp yesterday and he has already molted tonight. Everything looks fine, but here is my question: @ReefSquad What about the discarded exoskeleton? Should I remove it or will the clean up crew dispose of it?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back