Skunk Tilefish for a 50g?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, so I'm setting up an old 50-60g (I can't exactly remember what the size is, but its either a 50 or 60) Macro/Softy/NPS tank, and was wondering if I would be able to house a Skunk Tilefish? I already have a pretty heavy plastic lid, but I'm going to block out the filter openings as well. Tank mates I'm about positive on getting are A Pair of OSFF from DD, a Pair of Bluestripe Pipefish, and possibly a Pearly Jawfish. From different sites and forums, it seems like about 50g is the minimum tank size, and I would be looking to get a small-medium one either from LA or an LFS if they can get one in. This isn't it's permanent home if I do get one, in about 1-2 years, I'm setting up a 100g Deep Water Aquarium, so that would be its forever home. I have heard that Tilefish and Jawfish possibly could share the same burrow since tilefish take up existing burrows, does anyone have any info on this? I just really like the colors and movement, and have already planned out how to cover up every possible way of escape. If anyone has had success with one, any info would be appreciated!

Edit: Also will they go after small inverts? I'm thinking about having stuff like Pederson Cleaner shrimp, crinoid squat lobster, sponges, tunicate, possibly an anemone crab and feather dusters / christmas tree worms

Last edited:

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like that is a suitable tank size. max size is around 5in. They have a reputation for being hard to keep alive long term in captivity. Most reports only living a few months to a couple years. Gorgeous fish if it wasn’t for that reputation and the high cost per individual I would have tried one. But most of the fish on your list are extremely difficult as well.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the deaths I've seen is due to them jumping and being reclusive at first. The OSFF from Divers Den on Live Aquaria are already trained for 4 weeks to eat frozen (or thats what they told me. A lot of people have had success with their OSFF from DD, so it must be true) and the Blue Striped Pipefish are really easy to get onto to frozen. The Jawfish is should also be fine as im making a hill for it to burrow

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OSFF: Pretty much obligate corallivores that very few can keep alive, even less so if talking long term.

And yes the Tilefish are difficult in general as well.

The Pearly Jawfish can work well. Easy to keep. Avoid the Blue Spot as they’re for cooler water setups.

I’d look into some Gobies and Dartfish. Sure, not as exotic but easier to keep.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, do you want to create a specific regional biotope for your deepwater setup? Are you going for a deep reef setup?
Not really a region, more of like NPS corals, which is why I'm starting out with some of the easier finger gorgonians and some sun corals. But the tank 100 is going to have really dim lighting, then now light at all depending if I can some certain fish in that I've done a ton of research on and have spoken to some public aquariums and I'm 100% ready to take care of. The 50 has a really heavy lid, so I doubt they would be able to have that much force to move it. The back parts, I can cover with wrap, I just thought about getting a small one, so that in the future I could move it and maybe get a partner for it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back