Baby oreni tilefish grow out thread!

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks! My LFS got something in that the store manager knew i couldn't resist, baby oreni tilefish!

Or what I assume is baby oreni... they do not have the dappling of the fully mature adults, but still almost a spitting image!

I have since purchased the trio. And I am now in the throws of setting up a seperate grow out/QT tank for them. Which will be a 5 gallon bare bottom LR tank (as i am hopefully purchasing a house in the next month!!!!!) So i figure with them being sub 1.5" they should be fine for the four weeks on my kitchen counter LOL.

Ive had the pair of large tilefish in my DT for roughly 8 months now. So im curious to see how long it takes these baby tiles to grow to full size!

P.S Ignore the ich spots on the mature tile. I got one heck of an outbreak going and when we have to move i will be going fallow and QTing everything.... again... *sigh*

20240320_121929.jpg 20240320_121944.jpg 20240316_215753.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks! My LFS got something in that the store manager knew i couldn't resist, baby oreni tilefish!

Or what I assume is baby oreni... they do not have the dappling of the fully mature adults, but still almost a spitting image!

I have since purchased the trio. And I am now in the throws of setting up a seperate grow out/QT tank for them. Which will be a 5 gallon bare bottom LR tank (as i am hopefully purchasing a house in the next month!!!!!) So i figure with them being sub 1.5" they should be fine for the four weeks on my kitchen counter LOL.

Ive had the pair of large tilefish in my DT for roughly 8 months now. So im curious to see how long it takes these baby tiles to grow to full size!

P.S Ignore the ich spots on the mature tile. I got one heck of an outbreak going and when we have to move i will be going fallow and QTing everything.... again... *sigh*

20240320_121929.jpg 20240320_121944.jpg 20240316_215753.jpg
Be careful adding those juveniles to the adults when you do. That’s a risky move once you have a mature pair - naturally tilefish are only found in pairs or alone. So groups tend to not do well if not given ample space IME. Yes these fish are somewhat peaceful but even then, they can be boisterous with their own species.

Growth wise, I’d assume they’re rather fast until maybe 2-3 inches and then they slow right down in growth. I’ve found tilefish to have very slow growth rates but I have only really dealt with 2” and bigger specimens.

OP
OP
Lemons

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful adding those juveniles to the adults when you do. That’s a risky move once you have a mature pair - naturally tilefish are only found in pairs or alone. So groups tend to not do well if not given ample space IME. Yes these fish are somewhat peaceful but even then, they can be boisterous with their own species.

Growth wise, I’d assume they’re rather fast until maybe 2-3 inches and then they slow right down in growth. I’ve found tilefish to have very slow growth rates but I have only really dealt with 2” and bigger specimens.
Yea i was not planning on trying any addition until they were atleast 4.5ish" in length.

Which may take a few years :). Which is fine by me due to having to save up for my 250-300 gallon dream tank.

Hopefully by then they have grown a fair amount.

And hopefully with a new environment, the mature tilefish will not get ornery with the new additions.

OP
OP
Lemons

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my ever so elegant "grow out" tank.
(For the next month or so until we deal with closing costs and stuff)

A marineland 10gal @ 1.024 S.G
A sponge filter, 50wat heater, and a glass lid i have taped down and blocked any potential escapes. (No hardwood diving today)

I will be picking up some seasoned LR from my LFS. As the stuff i have in my main tank is now contaminated with ich...

Attachments

• 20240321_150510.jpg
    20240321_150510.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my ever so elegant "grow out" tank.
(For the next month or so until we deal with closing costs and stuff)

A marineland 10gal @ 1.024 S.G
A sponge filter, 50wat heater, and a glass lid i have taped down and blocked any potential escapes. (No hardwood diving today)

I will be picking up some seasoned LR from my LFS. As the stuff i have in my main tank is now contaminated with ich...
Put some sand in there, it may only be temporary but if you want the best chance of survival, sand. I’ve yet to have a tilefish do well in a BB tank.

OP
OP
Lemons

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some sand in there, it may only be temporary but if you want the best chance of survival, sand. I’ve yet to have a tilefish do well in a BB tank.
Good point. When i QT'd my last ones i tossed a little bit of sand in there! That'll be on my honey do list for tomorrow lol

OP
OP
Lemons

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone following along its been a few days since i picked the little guys up! But they seem to be doing just fine!

One of them seems to be a bit lethargic, unsure if they are still stressed about their new environment or possibly just the way this one is... hard to say.

They seem to behave exactly like the adult counterparts. Which is nice, i have taken the best approx measurements i can and each baby tile is roughly 1.3 inches. Which is substancially smaller then my fully grown 6-6.5 inch tiles. I'm excited to keep a log on how fast these guys grow!

Attachments

• 20240325_201328.jpg
    20240325_201328.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240326_081659.jpg
    20240326_081659.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240326_081707.jpg
    20240326_081707.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Lemons

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly a week having these little guys!

Two of them are eating and swimming like champs!

One is... not doing so hot.

I suspect Cyanide poisoning as the poor little thing has been extremely lethargic and very uninterested in food along with laboured breathing. no raised bumps to indicate ich or velvet, nor yawning to indicate flukes.

And now today, has been doing what i like to call the Cyanide twirl :(

I have since isolated the poor little guy in a net since the healthier two have now gotten agressive whenever he starts his wirling.

Sigh, the joys of fish keeping

Attachments

• 20240329_140431_001.mp4
    984.6 KB
  • 20240329_140431.mp4
    30 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back