sleeper gobie mistake...

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i made a huge mistake when i bought one of these at my lfs... its a gold banded sleeper gobie.. i have some shrimp gobies in my other tanks and i like them since they help sift the sand and keep the top layer sturred up.. so in my 75 gallon i thought i would get a bigger version of my shrimp gobies... well he is about 3 inches long and it shifts sand all right.. it will go in the front of my tank get huge mouth fulls of sand an go bout half way up in the water colum and let the sand rain down on my corals like crazy... im starting to hate this fish... it covered my blastos and some of my zoas.. so i tried to move them but it keeps covering my corals up like its funny or something..... not to mention that he dug severial chambers all through and around my rockwork......anyone else had this problem with there sleeper gobies....???

Attachments

• 992_goldenheadedsleepergobymx28.jpg
    992_goldenheadedsleepergobymx28.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ya btw stop making it rain sand in my tank..(whick i hope he does cause fish are not easy to catch...)can they be kept with other types of gobies like shrimp gobies?

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i hate them for that reason but they do a really good job on sifting the sand... TOO good of a job... the diamond sleeper gobies tend to stay lower near the sand the golden heads seem to swim a bit higher in the tank than the diamonds...

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have a dragon (barred) gobie that also sifts and then rises up in the water column and lets it rain. I also have a high fin shrimp gobie in the same tank and they don't even look at each other.

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have a dragon (barred) gobie that also sifts and then rises up in the water column and lets it rain. I also have a high fin shrimp gobie in the same tank and they don't even look at each other.
is the dragon a sleeper? im not familiar with it??? and mine is constantly sifting sand and the aftermath is corals covered in sand....

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup i had one in my tank but it too drove me nuts....gave him to a friend and a little bit better in his tank....also once he left my sand became unbelievably dirty....my snail CUC had to be increased....these guys deffinitely do an amazing job just extremely messy!!!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 55 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back