Sleeper Goby Feeding My Corals?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past week, we added a Sleeper Goby to the tank. Yes he spreads sand everywhere. Yes he clouds up the water. Yes he has a cool personality.
At first I was irritated, but grew to like watching him sift the sand. Then I started thinking about the particles in the water.
Is there any chance that him stirring up the sand and emitting all of these micro-particles into the water column is a good thing? Could it be feeding my corals freed-up bacteria and nutrients?
Thoughts and/or experiences?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past week, we added a Sleeper Goby to the tank. Yes he spreads sand everywhere. Yes he clouds up the water. Yes he has a cool personality.
At first I was irritated, but grew to like watching him sift the sand. Then I started thinking about the particles in the water.
Is there any chance that him stirring up the sand and emitting all of these micro-particles into the water column is a good thing? Could it be feeding my corals freed-up bacteria and nutrients?
Thoughts and/or experiences?
I have a diamond goby who stirs up the sand all the time. Never have crystal clear water. I have just decided that it’s not hurting anything and, like you said, it may be “feeding” the corals. I notice when I stir up some of the junk in my frag tank that all of the Duncan’s, candy canes and favias send out their feeders.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back