Slight tank crash

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night we had the A/C on because it was hot outside. Usually the temp runs from 78-83. I checked my Apex and saw the temp was 75 so i turned off the A/C. When i woke up i normally look at the tank and i noticed most SPS are a faint color of what they usually are. Then i found my heater became unsuction cupped and broke on a rock during the night. My question is will the corals recover if they appear to have some color on them? I know it will take time if they do. Should I be adding anything? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Also i moved the new heater to a knock free zone.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals should recover. do you know if your heater had mercury in it? that would be my only concern with a heater break

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you caught it quick enough you should be fine. I would run some carbon though.

OP
OP
WnYreefer

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals should recover. do you know if your heater had mercury in it? that would be my only concern with a heater break

Not sure. I checked it and it had metal coils running through it. I dont know if those have mercury in them. I did not notice anything different in the tank.

OP
OP
WnYreefer

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you caught it quick enough you should be fine. I would run some carbon though.

Thank you. I will go pick some up. I did loose a few, however some i notice are partially white but appear to have some color/faded. I did a decent water change because i was away for two weeks and then this happened. For some reason i dont think i should have now. Thanks again

OP
OP
WnYreefer

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i added some carbon. There was a slight smell before but now i dont really smell anything. Polyps are showing on some of the SPS even though there is still color loss. My setosa is nearly white with a faint hint of red, hope/i think it will recover.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope everything gets better. Keep us informed

OP
OP
WnYreefer

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a poly filter yesterday. I was advised to wait a few weeks to put anything new in. Any one have an idea of when would it be ok to add coral? 2/3 weeks be OK? Currently corals appear to be doing better, polyps are out, but colors still not back to normal I know it will take time. Thanks

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to great that it sounds like you caught things soon enough, although sorry for your troubles. Hope that things continue to improve.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be on a road to recovery now, you would be amazed at some of the corals ive seen come back. Ive bleached a few really bad to the point I thought they were dead and slowly they've recovered. I have a bad habit of over dipping everything due to my pest paranoia.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to great that it sounds like you caught things soon enough, although sorry for your troubles. Hope that things continue to improve.

Was suppose to be hear instead of great. Stupid swype keyboard.

OP
OP
WnYreefer

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a week since the heater broke and it appears things are moving along slowly in the right direction. I did a 10 gallon water change on my 29G, changed the filter and carbon oh and it appears that the poly filter is still white which is looking good. I have the new heater on the opposite side of the tank where i think there isnt too much/hardly any flow, but for the life of me i always get the nagging suspicion that it is going to happen again. I am always checking the suction cups "which i dont like anymore" i think i might try a titanium heater just so i dont have to worry.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 isnt that bad. I woulda been more worried about electricity shocking corals or yourself. They should easily recover from the temp swing.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back