Slightly awkward situation

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what the proper response should be for this particular situation, so I thought I'd ask here. I won a drawing for some free pods and phyto via FB. The company PM'd me for my shipping address, and I provided it and asked that they hold the shipment until my tank cycles. My entry included the comment that my tank wasn't even set up yet. I was assured via PM that they'd hold the shipment until I was ready. Two days later, the pods and phyto landed on my front porch. I messaged them back to ask how to keep the pods alive until my tank was wet, salty, and cycled. The FB guy was under the impression that they were still holding the shipment, until I sent a picture of the stuff sitting on my kitchen counter. His response was "oh, noooo! That wasn't supposed to happen- your account has a "hold shipment" tag! I'll talk with my shipping manager on Monday, and we'll reship when you're ready!" He did offer advice on how to keep them alive for a bit, and I wasn't asking for a fresh shipment, since I'd won the first one and hadn't paid a dime, but they offered. So here Monday rolls along, and I wonder if I'll get some follow up info. Nope. I get an email with shipping confirmation details. They just went ahead and reshipped immediately.

Here's my dilemma. I am super, uber, majorly non confrontational. I feel a bit gross about messaging them back to tell them they screwed up again, particularly since this was a free prize! It's not like I should complain- I haven't lost any money on this. It seems there's some miscommunication on their end, and I should at least let them know. On the other hand, what the heck do I do with all these pods until my tank cycles? It's only been cycling a few days. It's not ready for anything yet. I finally wound up dumping the first shipment of pods into my invert QT tank, which is definitely not where I wanted them, but it's better than letting them all die in a bucket. So what do I do? Message the guy via FB (our primary communication), tell him I got another shipment confirmation email, and ask him to let it go? I can't ask for a third shipment on a free prize! Do nothing, wait it out, and see if they touch base in a few weeks to see if my tank has cycled yet? Put two shipment's worth of pods in my invert QT and call it square? I know it's not that big of a deal, but it's kind of awkward for me! Any advice?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well add them to the DT. Who knows if they won't survive. It is not outside the realm of possibilities.

I wouldn't contact the company again unless you need fresh pods on Friday?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well add them to the DT. Who knows if they won't survive. It is not outside the realm of possibilities.

I wouldn't contact the company again unless you need fresh pods on Friday?
This is what I'm thinking. If ammonia is under 2ppm the phytoplankton should use it as food and help your cycle along. Add the pods a day later and lightly start feeding the tank. Should be ready for fish in no time.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^agreed. Just let them know you got another email. They clearly need to have better communication.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ammonia level in the tank?
I'll test tomorrow to make sure, but I believe it's just under 2ppm. I've got the alert badge in there for the time being, but when I dosed ammonia, I mistakenly forgot to adjust how much ammonia I added to account for the water volume in the sump. I was going to add more ammonia tomorrow (I have the night off, and thus more time to work on the tank) up to 2ppm. I've got a little bit (less than 2lbs, which isn't much for a 120g tank) of live rock from the LFS, and added bacteria in a bottle, as well. If my ammonia is less than 2ppm, do I still add the phyto and pods even if I haven't done that test of adding ammonia to 2ppm and seeing if it drops to zero in 24 hours? Or, as mentioned, will the phyto negate the need to do that particular test?

Thanks for the input, guys and gals! I appreciate it!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got an order of pods from podyourreef.com. After i emptied the bag into my tank i refilled it with tank water, dropped some fish food and phyto into it, and let it sit with the lid off at room temp for 2-3 weeks. It was filled with pods again by then. I would just open the container to give them some air and maybe put some food in them and wait till your ammonia comes down the add them... they are harty little buggers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Phyto will store well in fridge and also feed the pods.
If too many pods - sell them. Im sure therecare many mandarin owners who will be GLAD TO MEET YOU !!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll test tomorrow to make sure, but I believe it's just under 2ppm. I've got the alert badge in there for the time being, but when I dosed ammonia, I mistakenly forgot to adjust how much ammonia I added to account for the water volume in the sump. I was going to add more ammonia tomorrow (I have the night off, and thus more time to work on the tank) up to 2ppm. I've got a little bit (less than 2lbs, which isn't much for a 120g tank) of live rock from the LFS, and added bacteria in a bottle, as well. If my ammonia is less than 2ppm, do I still add the phyto and pods even if I haven't done that test of adding ammonia to 2ppm and seeing if it drops to zero in 24 hours? Or, as mentioned, will the phyto negate the need to do that particular test?

Thanks for the input, guys and gals! I appreciate it!
How many fish do you plan on adding for your first group, and what type?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can keep pods alive in a bucket of water with an airstone. If you feed them phyto they will breed. There's a guide around here somewhere. The bucked of water doesn't need to be cycled.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you plan on adding for your first group, and what type?

My first fish were going to be the trio of firefish, but now it's just going to be the solo guy. I also have a few snails and two hermits ready to go once there's enough stuff growing in there to feed them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish were going to be the trio of firefish, but now it's just going to be the solo guy. I also have a few snails and two hermits ready to go once there's enough stuff growing in there to feed them.
You have lots of options, such as putting the phyto and pods in a bucket. Personally, I would add the pods to the tank. Add some of the phyto every day for awhile. Your tank will have more than enough bacteria in it already to safely keep one small fish once ammonia hits zero. Be aware that some test kits, especially API, may indicate 0.25 when ammonia is actually zero.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have lots of options, such as putting the phyto and pods in a bucket. Personally, I would add the pods to the tank. Add some of the phyto every day for awhile. Your tank will have more than enough bacteria in it already to safely keep one small fish once ammonia hits zero. Be aware that some test kits, especially API, may indicate 0.25 when ammonia is actually zero.
I added the pods and have been adding phyto while the tank cycles. Do I dose ammonia back to 2ppm to see where the cycle's at? Does the phyto use ammonia as a food source? Just wondering what my next step should be. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I added the pods and have been adding phyto while the tank cycles. Do I dose ammonia back to 2ppm to see where the cycle's at? Does the phyto use ammonia as a food source? Just wondering what my next step should be. Thanks!

.Don't worry about 2ppm ammonia but keep an eye on it.
The Pods feed off phyto. Just assure you're not adding too much phyto. Phyto does not use ammonia which is a by product of waste and poor decomposition. Ammonia is a chemical compound made up of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms. Our fish experience it in two different forms: free ammonia NH3 and the ammonium ion NH4+.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.Don't worry about 2ppm ammonia but keep an eye on it.
The Pods feed off phyto. Just assure you're not adding too much phyto. Phyto does not use ammonia which is a by product of waste and poor decomposition. Ammonia is a chemical compound made up of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms. Our fish experience it in two different forms: free ammonia NH3 and the ammonium ion NH4+.
I'm not so sure that phytoplankton doesn't consume ammonia. I would say that it likely will. In the ocean, phytoplankton and nitrifying bacteria compete for ammonia.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4177112/

What is your current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not so sure that phytoplankton doesn't consume ammonia. I would say that it likely will. In the ocean, phytoplankton and nitrifying bacteria compete for ammonia.

He stated current ammonia at 2PPm. Bacteria digests ammonia. Along with sunlight, water and carbon dioxide, phytoplankton require a variety of other nutrients from the water including nitrogen, phosphorous and iron. The most important are nitrogen and phosphorous which are essential to survival and reproduction. Nitrogen is in short supply in some areas but in other areas, phosphorous is limited. Phytoplankton cannot continue to grow when one or the other has been used up. They are part of the food chain and therefore would not be consuming and transferring ammonia to aquatic life.
Phytoplankton contain chlorophyll which allows them to convert sunlight into energy. In the process known as photosynthesis, they combine the sunlight with water and carbon dioxide to create carbohydrates which they use as nutrients.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 10

....am I just about cycled? I haven't been testing for ammonia very often like I should (working nights and heavy training for a half Ironman take up most of my time lately), so I don't know if it ever really spiked. Should I give it a dose of ammonia, test daily, and see what it does?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back