Slightly undersized pump for UV Sterilizer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that UV is a debated topic, and I am not 100% sold on running on my tank. However, I purchased a used Aqua UV Advantage 8w HOB unit at a great price locally in case I decide to run it. I had hoped to run the unit from a Siccie Silent 1.5 that I have on hand (394 gph max), but now I realize that the UV unit needs 424 gph for standard saltwater applications.

Recognizing I will also lose a little flow to head pressure, how big a deal is it if I run this unit with less than optimal flow? The manufacturer recommends 214 gph for complete sterilization or 424-624 daily use.

My use case is fighting what I believe is a daily algae bloom when my lights come on. The tank gets ever so slightly cloudy while the lights are on and clear up as they ramp down and overnight.

spectreknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with the slightly lower flow. I have the 2000 15w on the output of my tunze algae scrubber and have had it this way for a couple of years and it has helped with cloudiness. Water is crystal clear with it running this way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back