Slime suffocating chaeto

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 20 gallon AIO with a fuge in one of the back chambers. The fuge has been running for about 3 months. For the first 2 months, the chaeto grew great and I had to harvest every week or two. In the past month it has started growing a green slime algae that appears to be suffocating my chaeto. The chaeto has gone from the size of 2 softballs to the size of a ping pong ball. I dose 2ml of chaeto grow every day, phosphates are .07 and nitrates are 10. I have spend the last two weeks frequently rotating and cleaning the chaeto but that doesn’t seam to be helping. Any advice?

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, replacing the chaeto is likely the easiest option if there is another algae growing on it. Additionally, frequent rinses in a bucket of saltwater could help it from being overrun in the future. The chaeto grow is likely driving the growth of the green slime algae at this point if it is dominant.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you start dosing 2ml every day? That is about 50% increase over start up recommendation. Do you think you should increase trace minerals? That’s what I would do and then observe secondary effects with improved growth. The only way to be certain is ICP testing of trace minerals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back