Slooooooooow Charts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Networks, Servers, Databases, API, etc. That is what I do for a living,

Ping P4 from LAN:
0 packets lost over thousands of pings
<2ms latency

WAN:
Fiber gigabit with router capable of passing full gig with no latency
no packet loss or significant latency to outside hosts
quad nine DNS (fast)

Wifi Aruba Enterprise AP with radio dedicated 2.4 SSID for P4 - Superb SNR with no interference (see above for ping results).

LAN connect to local webserver is fine, but charts are very slow

GHL Connect - Painfully slow compared to local web server charts often either timeout or take minutes to update.
MyGHL - same as above.

Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours for chart data to update. It feels like this issue has grown worse by the day.

@Vinny@GHLUSA @Gaël - this appears to be a bottleneck on your side of some sort.

Also - I see an issue where Dashboard layouts, after some days revert back to the default. This is also very frustrating.

I am a new and very happy customer already in for many thousands of dollars. That said, I am starting to get a bit worried.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 stores data locally and update the charts into the cloud with hours between. When you use a webinterface - its always the clouds charts you see and with the new (from introduction to P4) look of the charts, So even if you connect localy - when you ask for the charts (and the logbook) - it is always catch the data from the cloud. However - if you chose to use GCC you can reach the part stored in locally (around the latest 8000 measure points) and see it in the old web interface (P3:s) Go to probe sensor controls, press measurements data (blue) and press read & save. Do not touch the data under the red cross - if you do - it will change the configurations at each function. If you uncheck it you have to check it again or go to temp 1 and check the save data. If you change the sample time - you change all sampling times

1674818386642.png

Store it somewhere on your computer with a good name

1674818681019.png

After it have been saved/loaded you can answer yes and the actual data is shown

1674818876546.png

If you do not have an ION director - uncheck calcium - nitrate and scroll down.

1674819051837.png

This way of seeing the charts is only valid for sensors (not dosing pumps). In my case (sample each 5 minutes - I use my data in analysis) - its only stored around the last 24 hours but in you case (1 hour) you will be able to see nearly a month I think. You can always reach old saved date through the button Display charts in the chart meny

I´ll think this is a part of the backwards combability approach that GHL normally have (where its possible)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI @Lasse

Thank you very much for the detailed post and the always positive perspective. I am going give it a try and also have high hopes for the announced API, where maybe I can do my own charting and dashboard.

I am a MacOS user - and while Control Center will run in Parallels, it is not ideal.

My bigger concern here is that several beneficial aspects of this product appear to be dependent on a hosted service that feels very under resourced. Charting at home is one thing but I travel a lot and purchased into this ecosystem so that I could easily monitor my aquarium from afar.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it supports any form of data export (api, excel, etc) but if so use something like telegraph to pull it then store in a time stamp db like say influx, then use grafana frontend for the pretty graphs.

This is what I do using a different controller for data retention and trend analysis.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it supports any form of data export (api, excel, etc) but if so use something like telegraph to pull it then store in a time stamp db like say influx, then use grafana frontend for the pretty graphs.

This is what I do using a different controller for data retention and trend analysis.

There are many possible workarounds. I would prefer to not have to roll my own solution for a feature that should work without such a large delay. We are not really talking about a lot of data here.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chart load times depend on a few things.
  • Amount of parameters you've asked it to display
  • Frequency of measurement recording
If the sensors are set to record the measurements every minute (unnecessary IMO), it will take longer to load due to having to pull more data. Compare that sensors that are collecting data every hour or two, it will load faster.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chart load times depend on a few things.
  • Amount of parameters you've asked it to display
  • Frequency of measurement recording
If the sensors are set to record the measurements every minute (unnecessary IMO), it will take longer to load due to having to pull more data. Compare that sensors that are collecting data every hour or two, it will load faster.
I am displaying (5) parameters
Temp
Salinity
Redox
PH
dkH

I am recording data one time an hour with the exception of the dkH which is every 12 hours. Displaying the chart in MyGHL and/or GHL Connect has made the platform extremely slow. To even get the charts to update, the app often has to be reset.

The charts are often hours behind. Example: I just logged into the LAN port of the webserver (10.15.30.xxx). The time is correct 1:22 PM - but the latest data points on the charts are 10:45 AM - so two hours behind right now.

Is there a plan in place to reduce this latency?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - A load up all data now button could be good function in the general tab. Sometimes you want to see your data for the last 2-3 hours

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - A load up all data now button could be good function in the general tab. Sometimes you want to see your data for the last 2-3 hours

Sincerely Lasse

I just wish they would actually address what appears to be a real and ongoing problem. Every one of these threads here or GHL forum appears to get the same "check your settings" response and then crickets....

I am extremely pleased with the actual function of the equipment thus far but the connectivity is absolutely terrible.

Not only is it slow, but regardless of mode of connection (web or app). I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect to get things to behave (slow) but as expected.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they would actually address what appears to be a real and ongoing problem. Every one of these threads here or GHL forum appears to get the same "check your settings" response and then crickets....

I am extremely pleased with the actual function of the equipment thus far but the connectivity is absolutely terrible.

Not only is it slow, but regardless of mode of connection (web or app). I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect to get things to behave (slow) but as expected.
Open a support ticket (Guest login)

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your experience does not reflect the normal and expected behavior from the controller.

Personally, it takes about 1 second to load locally, and 4-5 seconds with myGHL.
Disconnections are rare, but it happens sometimes.

As mentionned, your best bet is to open a ticket.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have opened a ticket.

FWIW - Local connections are fine, with the exception of charts, amd those appear to be served from GHL server even if connected to local web interface.

I don‘t believe there is an issue with the controller. WiFi is on a dedicated AP with a -30 dBm signal. Have not bothered to check firewall to see P4 to server comms and check external route metrics. Will delve into that when I have a chance.

issues are not steady state, some days and times are far worse than others.

Waiting to hear from support. We spoke briefly this morning and I provided info that they asked for.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back