OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will keep an eye on it and yes the Hanna does read NO2-N and the reason i had to take my 24ppb measurement it reads it * 3.3 to get a true 79.2ppb reading of the nitrite. Is these level even lethal to fish as its in the ppb range?

I do have two clowns and a pajama cardinal in another tank currently that are waiting to go into this new one. They havent show any signs of disease for the last two months i have had them but would it still be a good idea to treat the clowns for brook and possibly do a freshwater dip before adding them to the new tank to to ensure nothing gets transferred over to the pristine environment.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO2 is not toxic for gill breathing animals in saltwater. This because of the fact that chloride ions block the NO2 uptake by the gills. But low NO2 levels after a cycle indicate that the nitrification process is working. Wait for a week and put in the fish if it looks well. Feed very spares for at least 2 weeks after fish introduction

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is holding steady the last two days at .024 and today nitrite is 88.1ppb. So looks like the ammonia is still being converted to nitrite and nitrite has not started to drop yet.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like progress is being made. The ammonia has dropped to 0.02 today.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks very nice, but it looks like the rockwork is very close to the glass on the sides. That makes it very hard to clean the glass. You might want to move it inward a bit

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 88.1 ppb NO2 is NO2 (not NO2-N) - your reading in ppm will be 0.09.

When you start to introduce fishes - be careful with the feeding. I normally only feed some (3-10) frozen adult artemia every 3 day the first week, the second week - the same amount every second day and the third week - every day. But in these occasions - I star from scratch and its my own way of cycling - always start with one fish day 2 or 3.

I always ad nitrification bacteria every day in the form of commercial products or aerobic sludge from a working aquaria

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks very nice, but it looks like the rockwork is very close to the glass on the sides. That makes it very had to clean the glass. You might want to move it inward a bit
Good point! I will slide them in far enough that I can clean the glass. Might superglue it to make it all one piece, however I did not want to do this in case I had to disassemble the rock work at some point.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 88.1 ppb NO2 is NO2 (not NO2-N) - your reading in ppm will be 0.09.

When you start to introduce fishes - be careful with the feeding. I normally only feed some (3-10) frozen adult artemia every 3 day the first week, the second week - the same amount every second day and the third week - every day. But in these occasions - I star from scratch and its my own way of cycling - always start with one fish day 2 or 3.

I always ad nitrification bacteria every day in the form of commercial products or aerobic sludge from a working aquaria

Sincerely Lasse

Yes that is the true nitrite reading so it’s still pretty low. Looks like the mb7 Worked pretty good. I have two clowns and a cardinal that I feed every other day in a 10 gallon currently, however there are two white spots on the clown that look like ich. I think I’ll treat all three fish for ich before introducing them into the new tank. Maybe prazipro as well just to be sure. Then leave the 10 gallon fallow for the ich lifespan before I introduce the coral and nems from the 10 gallon in.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the ammonia is at 0.014 and nitrite is at 240.9ppb so it has went up a lot! Looks like the cycle is in full swing.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia went back up to .016 and nitrite rose up to 660ppb.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia’s at .012ppm today and nitrite is at 660ppm which is the top limit of the ulr Hanna. Are you able to dilute 50% to be able to measure the high range a little bit?
When should I perform a water change?k

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ammonia’s at .012ppm today and nitrite is at 660ppm which is the top limit of the ulr Hanna. Are you able to dilute 50% to be able to measure the high range a little bit?
When should I perform a water change?k
This has been going on for 3 weeks?
I'm not familiar with what you are using for testing, but when I used a bottled bacteria product on my batch of rock for my 240, the cycle was done and over with in 2 weeks.
I know the API test kits I used are not top of the line, but still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup three weeks now. Nitrate was at 4ppm today. It seems like none of these levels are toxic so after I’m done treating the clowns with the cupramine I will probably add them to the tank.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 133 77.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 11.1%

Back