Slow fading away

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, my BTA is going down hill. About 3 months ago my 120g got ich. Pulled all inverts & put in a 1 year established 55g. BTA was doing great. Few weeks later it started staying hidden in coral. All other inverts are great. Shrimp, scallops, pompom, porcelain craps, sea cucumber ,featherdusters, Conch etc. Clownfish still loving BTA. Fed krill every few days. BTA never wondered around tank. Getting worse. Put in tank with 4 other nems. Still shriveling up & now has what looks like poofs of cloud that it excretes. Tentacles are almost non existent. Please help or is beyond saving? Pics of time lapse deterioration.
79°
Phos .02
Nitrate 5
Ammonia 0
PH 8
Mag 1250

20220514_102036.jpg 20220503_074442.jpg 20220425_112556.jpg 20220516_071903.jpg

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting looks awfully too white for any anemone or coral species. What kind of lighting are you running? If the clown is still trying to be hosted by the anemone, you need to remove it as it's clearly not in good enough condition to deal with the constant touching. I've had clowns kill anemones like this before.

OP
OP
dado150

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish was removed. That is a prior pic. The white light is for better view of it's condition.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish was removed. That is a prior pic. The white light is for better view of it's condition.
can be saved, but also its hard to tell a nems conditions if you switch lighting suddenly that since itll prob get rlly stressed out.

They do best in slightly shaded areas, and like lighting that is low to moderate

Do you use tap water?

Params?

Flow?

Lighting?

tankmates?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Sharing my opinion from my own experience) when I had a similar situation, it turned out one specific anemone was very sensitive to low nitrates, even if I fed it manually. I recovered mine by manually dosing to increase my nitrates and now keep them between 20-40ppm while pushing the phosphates as low as I can.

OP
OP
dado150

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can be saved, but also its hard to tell a nems conditions if you switch lighting suddenly that since itll prob get rlly stressed out.

They do best in slightly shaded areas, and like lighting that is low to moderate

Do you use tap water?

Params?

Flow?

Lighting?

tankmates?
Filtered water
2 HOB's & wavemaker,
Red star figh, Tuxedo urchin, various crabs,& snails,sea cucumber, bullet goby, Coral Beauty, 2 Cardinals, 2 clownfish, lawnmower blenny. Same lightning as other 4 tanks. Nems doing great in them.

Do you use tap water?

Params?

Flow?

Lighting?

tankmates?

OP
OP
dado150

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Sharing my opinion from my own experience) when I had a similar situation, it turned out one specific anemone was very sensitive to low nitrates, even if I fed it manually. I recovered mine by manually dosing to increase my nitrates and now keep them between 20-40ppm while pushing the phosphates as low as I can.
I've done 3 water changes in last 10 days. I started yesterday giving mashed up brine. Gonna go get some reef roids to see if that will help. Just sprayed with syringe some copepods w/ pyto water on it. It has never , even when I first got it & doing excellent, moved around. Found a spot & stayed put. Even after tank transfer for a few weeks then started getting darker color & loosing it's tentacles.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only thing that saved my anemones when they started to do this , other than prayer, is cipro

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow directions or did you have a remedy?
I didn’t follow the instructions but they are probly best method if you have spare tank for treatment. I’m my case I have no other tank so I broadcast dosed cipro into my main display 250mg a night (50g tank )for 10 nights. It worked for me and my anemones healed up, no other issues with corals / sps / fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back