Slow growth - advice for my tank.

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200106_161303.jpg

I get spurts sometimes, but growth has been very slow or stagnant since I moved to this 65 gal one year ago.

Parameters: Alk 9.5, Calc 360, Mag 1200, PO4 and NO3 are undetectable

2 AI hydras at 40% for 10 hrs plus 2 sunblaster T5 for 3 hrs, plenty of flow, 20 gal fuge with chaeto and skimmer. Dosing bionic 2 part. Feeding frozen, quarter block of oyster, cyclopedes, mysis and brine every day. Reefroids 1-2 month. Royal gramma, 2 percs, midas belnny, 3 randalls goby, green mandrarin.

I know nutrients are low but I feel like I feed a ton and I like a chill tank. Whats the best way to increase nutrients without adding fish? Should I and how would I dose PO4 and NO3 directly?

Any other advice?

Thanks folks!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, your tank looks great. I'm not a big fan of dosing NO3 or PO4 except as a last resort. I'm just not smart enough to maintain stability that way. Do you use filter socks? You could consider reducing the run time of your skimmer, lighting schedule of the fuge (I would recommend this first) or going sockless for awhile to bring your nutrients up. Whatever you do, go slowly and cautiously. Monitor levels and don't let them change too dramatically. I'm sure there are other methods that may be more effective.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back