Slow growth and pale color in some frags why?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started with SPS I had no PE either, but great growth and color. Once I lost my flame back angel, PE almost immediately got better. Now I have PE for days, but mostly have wrasses, and a kole tang.

I never saw it nip, but I'm sure there was a "swim by" nipping from time to time. No other way to explain it.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Chromis, a Tomini tang, Coral Beauty, long nose hawk fish, lunar wrasse, and one other fish I can’t remember the name of
Your coral beauty is probably why you have no daytime PE. My PE is way better during the peak of my photoperiod (350-550 par)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the par with seneye not sure if I believe it or not but numbers seem lower than I would’ve thought. Showing about 300 par where most my sps sit about 230 where the ones I feel are pale sit at but only reading 415 at the surface of the water. There’s a shelf where most my sps sit about 10 inches below the surface.
Trust the Seneye numbers. I also have a Seneye (only use it for cycling new tanks and PAR readings). I tested the Seneye against an Apogee Quantum PAR meter earlier this year. The numbers were almost the same on both units. This was under my Radion XR15's.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a post that said differant elements can bring out differant colors do you add trace if not give it a try.
I don’t add trace because I’m not going to test for all of them. I rely on what gets replenished with water changes. I try to add as little as possible to keep my tank as stable and simple

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust the Seneye numbers. I also have a Seneye (only use it for cycling new tanks and PAR readings). I tested the Seneye against an Apogee Quantum PAR meter earlier this year. The numbers were almost the same on both units. This was under my Radion XR15's.
Maybe I should bump my lights up a little.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my PAR map. SPS are happy pretty much anywhere on the rocks.
PAR map NEW.jpg

Here's the tank as of today. First pic without filter. Second with orange filter.
IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this also but I don’t really try to keep it super clean. I use a filter pad and a skimmer. Feed three times a day I dose aminos in the evening and I add Dr Tim’s probiotic bacteria with my water change. This is all I do other than two part and sometimes manually dose MG. However there isn’t a trace of algae in my tank other than the film I clean off the glass every other day.
My colour and polyp extension returned within weeks of dosing up my nutrients, I agree, too low.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that some Walt Disney I see in there?
Not in those terrible pics ( photoperiod is too blue right now)
There’s some no name Tenuis, jf Homewrecker, Matt v rainbow envy, Matt v psycho asylum, cc pink high lighter

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to raise my nutrients up a little and then maybe bump up the lights. Maybe not run my skimmer at night. Maybe adding a fish or two will help with the nitrates. Any suggestions?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to raise my nutrients up a little and then maybe bump up the lights. Maybe not run my skimmer at night. Maybe adding a fish or two will help with the nitrates. Any suggestions?
Adding fish and adding a feeding will likely get it done. How about a solid utility fish like a one spot foxface? Some of my hardest working fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back