Slow this Flow

frag!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Hammerhead pump running as my return on my 240 gallon tank. My refugium is drilled at the middle compartment on the back side which feeds the internal to the pump. My head pressure is around 9 feet going upstairs to the tank where it is returned by overflows going into my sump. The refugium is lifted accordingly to my sump. I have dual 2 inch outputs on my sump that feed into the first compartment to my refugium (before the bubble trap).

My question is my Hammerhead is starting to leak around the O ring and I have to dial the pump WAY down so that the water is not overflowing my bubble trap. ( I am told that dialing these down is hard on the motors and shortens their life span). Would it be wise to get a different pump before I think of rebuilding the one I have and what kind of pump would you suggest getting? I was thinking about getting a submersible pump but I cannot seem to find any that has a 1.5 inch output. I want to be able to grow some macros for my refugium but the flow I have right now will wipe anything out of there. I even have a bleeder valve going back into my sump but doesnt seem to help much. The bubble trap can only take so much water. I also have a separate Hammerhead running on a closed loop for flow inside the tank. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiet one 9000 and 4000 have good flow at 9' and 1.5" returns. I don't know what kind of return your looking for, but those have decent numbers.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two Quiet One pumps literally catch on fire, flames, sparks, electified tank and all. I would not wish one on my worst enemy. Besides that they run hotter than blazes, are les than quiet and draw more wattage than comparable pumps. I though one wasa fluke but two was a problem. I tossed the other two I had once I felt the heat they were generating.

Look at something like WaterBlaster, Sicce, Tunze, Eheim or Ocean Runner. All are much better pumps, very popular in the hobby, draw lower wattage per gallon pumped, are quiet and create less heat.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 99 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back