OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. This is a long shot, but in the second pic, it looks like there is possibly some brown stuff on the rocks. Is it possible dinos?

Also, I’m guessing you have done this already, but I would check all my pumps and heaters for possible exposed metal.
No Dino’s, I run a very white setting so it’s just showing some algae. I’d think that any rust would have come up in the ICP, right?

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Dino’s, I run a very white setting so it’s just showing some algae. I’d think that any rust would have come up in the ICP, right?
from what ive learned from the tropic marine incident, just go and get reef crystals or a salt as close to your parameters as possible, then do WC. It might help.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 1TDS output is way too much for SPS corals
1tds is within the margin of error for sensing though. If you have a meter that read 1.0 TDS that might be an issue. If you have a meter that reads 0 or 1 either are fine since you do not know if the error is in calibration or actual 1tds.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro - mine is from germany, though.

Well, still I've read one user had a bad german batch.
I mean that could be a possibility though.
I would keep it in the back of your mind that was my experience. That said I would expect the trace dosing was the culprit if everything else was kept constant. If more colonies get affected maybe look at the salt.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had an issue with TMP?
I did it was a box of TMP from Germany around the same time others were having issues. Several acros immediately browned, lost polyp extension, and were starting to STN. LPS and everything else showed no effects. I got it to stop with a different salt but recovery was slow.

I don't think my experience was as common with the German salt but I do feel they have a problem throughout.

I won't say that's your issue but keep it on a list of differentials.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it was a box of TMP from Germany around the same time others were having issues. Several acros immediately browned, lost polyp extension, and were starting to STN. LPS and everything else showed no effects. I got it to stop with a different salt but recovery was slow.

I don't think my experience was as common with the German salt but I do feel they have a problem throughout.
Was the source of the problem something that would show in ICP? I sent another batch out a few days ago.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the source of the problem something that would show in ICP? I sent another batch out a few days ago.
For me it was not. My ICP looked great. I could only suspect that the contaminant was molecular (ie a hydrocarbon) that ICP isn't good at testing for. I knew others were having issues so I was able to catch it early after about 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was not. My ICP looked great. I could only suspect that the contaminant was molecular (ie a hydrocarbon) that ICP isn't good at testing for. I knew others were having issues so I was able to catch it early after about 4-6 weeks.
Just ordered fritz RPM. I’ll do a big change and see if there’s a difference. I’m afraid my large colony is beyond saving at this point.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered fritz RPM. I’ll do a big change and see if there’s a difference. I’m afraid my large colony is beyond saving at this point.
I hope whatever the issue is you figure it out! I hate to tell you to make a bunch of changes but here's hoping you get steady improvement.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell in the pics, but they’re bad. The large colony is nearly completely dead. I use Neptune primarily, and Salifert + Hannah as backups. I have not tested po4 as it’s been stable for years and I can usually judge a rise by an increase in film algae. Will test it later to be sure, though.
For sure test your PO4, it may have bottomed out and that brings pest algaes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed/forgotten the timeline, but the title says slowly. So, another line of inquiry would be pests. I would pull the colony and dip in a tankwater / potassium chloride solution to rule out aefw.

Next would be red/white parasitic pods (tegastes). Visually inspect at night; very difficult to see. If a pod is moving on live acro flesh, it is a bad pod. Interceptor is the only thing that works. Hopefully you have a big dog so you can get a prescription for it.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy was dosing acropower and after a few months he started losing some corals. He dosed witch hazel and bacteria and it slowed it down and his tank is now recovering. No more acropower for him. He can only assume it was the trace elements. I do not know, just wanted to share.
corey

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy was dosing acropower and after a few months he started losing some corals. He dosed witch hazel and bacteria and it slowed it down and his tank is now recovering. No more acropower for him. He can only assume it was the trace elements. I do not know, just wanted to share.
corey
Witch hazel? Why bacteria? Which bacteria?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

then Dr. Tim’s bacteria. Here is a link on the process I think.

corey

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back