Kalk and supplemental dosing.

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another help me thread lol

Starting what will hopefully be predominantly my first SPS tank and trying to figure out my plan for dosing.

I have 2 single dosers right now and I think I have decided on dosing kalk. I do understand once the SPS turn to colonies I will probably have to switch from kalk or supplement.

My question is for the time being I would like to supplement the kalk from the beginning with possibly trace elements? And have also considered mainly kalk and small amounts of all for reef.

Should I supplement dose? Stick with kalk? Talk me into 2 part from the start? Trace elements? Small water changes and kalk only? Etc..

Thanks for any input!

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what your daily Alk consumption, for me I dose Kalwasser as a primary(at Max) and
small amounts of all for reef as a supplement.
Red sea 170 Sps dominated
I can show you what my tank look like

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what your daily Alk consumption, for me I dose Kalwasser as a primary(at Max) and
small amounts of all for reef as a supplement.
Red sea 170 Sps dominated
I can show you what my tank look like
It’s a new tank being setup right now, just trying to plan. What you are doing is what I’m thinking of trying. Kalk maxed as my main dosing and either supplementing with trace elements, all for reef, or 2 part when Kalk can not keep up.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in month 7 of my new reef tank. Unless you have been in the hobby for a long time and have an existing tank you can transfer rock/sand/coral from you should take it slow. I had a few cheap or donated SPS frags early on but they all died when I had a dino outbreak in month 3.

For dosing, I am using B-Ionic 2-part which covers alk, calcium and trace. The calcium component also has magnesium but I also supplement mag separately once a week when I do a water change since my salt's mag level is lower than what I want.

Until you have a lot of coral, weekly water changes should be sufficient. Right now I am only dosing small amounts of 2-part to keep alk in range since my coral load is light.

Once I start adding more SPS, I plan to supplement or switch to kalk. For a new tank with limited coral I don't see the point of dosing kalk other than to test the equipment setup.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience if you going for sps make sure your bio load is low, once the tank mature you can adjust bio load accordingly

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in month 7 of my new reef tank. Unless you have been in the hobby for a long time and have an existing tank you can transfer rock/sand/coral from you should take it slow. I had a few cheap or donated SPS frags early on but they all died when I had a dino outbreak in month 3.

For dosing, I am using B-Ionic 2-part which covers alk, calcium and trace. The calcium component also has magnesium but I also supplement mag separately once a week when I do a water change since my salt's mag level is lower than what I want.

Until you have a lot of coral, weekly water changes should be sufficient. Right now I am only dosing small amounts of 2-part to keep alk in range since my coral load is light.

Once I start adding more SPS, I plan to supplement or switch to kalk. For a new tank with limited coral I don't see the point of dosing kalk other than to test the equipment setup.
I have a decent amount of LPS and zoas/shrooms that will be transferred over from the old tank. I will be letting the tank mature before transitioning to mainly SPS but would like to dial in any dosing that may be needed from the beginning. My current tank I tried to let water changes replenish the basics but when testing it wasn’t quite enough.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another help me thread lol

Starting what will hopefully be predominantly my first SPS tank and trying to figure out my plan for dosing.

I have 2 single dosers right now and I think I have decided on dosing kalk. I do understand once the SPS turn to colonies I will probably have to switch from kalk or supplement.

My question is for the time being I would like to supplement the kalk from the beginning with possibly trace elements? And have also considered mainly kalk and small amounts of all for reef.

Should I supplement dose? Stick with kalk? Talk me into 2 part from the start? Trace elements? Small water changes and kalk only? Etc..

Thanks for any input!
Go with just kalk or 2-part/AFR and water changes, there is no need to add trace elements to a new tank. You’re not going to need any alk/cal until there is demand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back