Slug? Thanks in advance.

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - saw this in my tank the other day, thought it was some sort of algae growth but then it moved, and moved again today. Attaching the best pictures I could get. Tank is a little over two months old, two weeks since first livestock (two clowns, doing well), and one week since first coral additions (also seeming to do pretty well). Any help ID’ing if this is a beneficial hitchhiker or if I should get rid of it while it’s still on the rocks surface would be appreciated.

edit: also there’s another picture of something near my zoas that I could use an opinion on. Is it aptasia? Zoas are closed due to a recent feeding, otherwise healthy.

Thanks in advance.

F8914F53-540C-4B32-AEFE-AEE7747FBB68.jpeg DCE08D54-98DD-4835-803A-D40248CDDF63.jpeg 94F28C0F-B278-4806-94BB-F24546B2B9C2.jpeg

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aiptasia is on a frag - I do like the zoas that are on it, but reading so many horror stories on aptasia just makes me want to chuck the entire plug

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give it a go right now @Arthacker87

Alright glue’d the **** out of it. Will watch it to make sure it keeps it down. Otherwise will add some more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other opinions on the star (if its a star)? I’ll kill it in a bit unless someone thinks it could be a good hitchhiker

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've glued a few. Sometimes they can work their way out but if it's glued tight I've had no issues. I have have couple on some rockwork I have to puddy. Bought too many frags recently and dips didn't get em lol

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star looks like a variety of Asterina to me. Some are harmful some aren't but they ALL reproduce prolifically by asexual division. Your best bet is to remove it.

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star looks like a variety of Asterina to me. Some are harmful some aren't but they ALL reproduce prolifically by asexual division. Your best bet is to remove it.
K. Good enough for me with your vote and @shwareefer’s

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've glued a few. Sometimes they can work their way out but if it's glued tight I've had no issues. I have have couple on some rockwork I have to puddy. Bought too many frags recently and dips didn't get em lol
I only have the one. I THINK I got it well but I should be able to keep an eye on it.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the problem with Asterina is that their are a number of similar looking varieties. Some are harmless detritivores while others are coral predators. Alot of newer reefers think they're cute so the keep them only to find later that they have a bad variety. Either way, a tank full of tiny starfish can be annoying. Keep an eye on the tank for more especially a few hours after lights out. A red lens flashlight works great for night viewing.

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the problem with Asterina is that their are a number of similar looking varieties. Some are harmless detritivores while others are coral predators. Alot of newer reefers think they're cute so the keep them only to find later that they have a bad variety. Either way, a tank full of tiny starfish can be annoying. Keep an eye on the tank for more especially a few hours after lights out. A red lens flashlight works great for night viewing.
Thanks! The one from the picture is taken care of.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back