SLW-10 or SLW-20

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into getting affordable controllable power heads for my 29gal reef tank. I was planning on getting 2 of these. I also have a return with flare nozzle at about 300gph close to the surface (creates small ripples) So I have a couple questions. 1. I was gonna put 1 a couple inches under the return faces the other wall and then the other on the other wall off center. Would this be good placement? And 2. Would I be better off with 2 SLW-20s or 10s. I was gonna get 2 10s but I’m reading the flow on them is different and doesn’t over power a tank like some other power heads do. I am planning on having a mixed reef. Here’s a pic of my setup as of now just for visual

C22797F0-C0E3-4E63-A9DD-FC3AFE43B06F.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one on each side tends to be better in general. What corals are you wanting to keep?

Ps I would raise you light up higher it'll help with spread

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one on each side tends to be better in general. What corals are you wanting to keep?

Ps I would raise you light up higher it'll help with spread
I went with an SLW-20 for now and I'll move the maxi-jet to the other side until I can get an SLW-10. I honestly don't have a complete list of what I'm wanting down the road but for now just some hardy softies and LPS like some GSP, zoanthids, leather corals, a hammer coral.

And thank you for the tip. I fixed it yesterday (centered it better and raised it up:))

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an SLW-20 for now and I'll move the maxi-jet to the other side until I can get an SLW-10. I honestly don't have a complete list of what I'm wanting down the road but for now just some hardy softies and LPS like some GSP, zoanthids, leather corals, a hammer coral.

And thank you for the tip. I fixed it yesterday (centered it better and raised it up:))

Those corals all tend to like a gently sway. So as long as they seem to move like tree branches in a breeze then they will be satisfied. They will let you know if its too much flow if they appear to shrink up from flow or look like they are getting whipped around

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals all tend to like a gently sway. So as long as they seem to move like tree branches in a breeze then they will be satisfied. They will let you know if its too much flow if they appear to shrink up from flow or look like they are getting whipped around
And from my understanding the SLW although has higher GPH doesn't have as much turbulation because of the wider angle of the current produced? I was going to go with the 10 but from reading reviews and other posts people have said it tends to lean on the lighter side of flow just due to it's size of flow.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from my understanding the SLW although has higher GPH doesn't have as much turbulation because of the wider angle of the current produced? I was going to go with the 10 but from reading reviews and other posts people have said it tends to lean on the lighter side of flow just due to it's size of flow.

They do have a pretty wide flow. I have a 30 and a 20 in mine (I think but it might be 2 30s or 2 20s lol). They move and impressive amount of water.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using 2 SLW-10 in my 35.2 tank. I love them
They do have a pretty wide flow. I have a 30 and a 20 in mine (I think but it might be 2 30s or 2 20s lol). They move and impressive amount of water.
Did I make a mistake ordering a SLW-20 for a 29 gallon?

Back