Small .5 inch peppermint shrimp for aptasia

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to buy a tiny peppermint shrimp for aptasia control. I have a lot of euphillia however. Should i risk it. Have a lot of aptasia however

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a well fed system equals a peppermint shrimp that does not bother corals. I have seen stories of it in the past but I myself have yet to experience a peppermint shrimp eating euphillia corals.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to buy a tiny peppermint shrimp for aptasia control. I have a lot of euphillia however. Should i risk it. Have a lot of aptasia however
There is no guarantee that the Pep will eat the Aptasia. Having said that, more people have claimed success when they have more than one Pep. Apparently they like to hunt in groups. I have two in my tank, and they did take care of the few Aptasia in the tank.
If you have a lot of Aptasia, especially big ones, I would suggest you try to kill as many as you can by hand. Using F-Aptasia or similar means, in addition to the Pep shrimp.
I have Frogspawn in my tank, and they've never touched it.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of camel shrimp accidentally being sold as peppermint shrimp. Ill keep my eye out

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried every aptasia solution possible from aptasia x, to majano wand, to berghias, etc. Peppermint shrimp worked best for me. Berghias will be the most optimal solution if your tank can support them. My amphipods ate most of the berghias and all of their eggs so they weren't a viable solution.

For aptasia eating species, you'll want wurdemmani or boggessi, they'll do the trick just fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back