Small dirt and debris in tank

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys when I was cleaning the inside of my tank I noticed the motion of cleaning stirred up alot of small debris and particles. Is it because I’m using rocks or because I don’t have powerheads in my tank, my return pump was initially very powerful (it would move away sand) so I got the model one down from Sicce. If I get powerheads will the movement of water prevent the debris buildup? I attached some pics so you have an idea? If so any recommendations on powerheads? I want something that looks nice and minimal but not outrageously expensive. I have a RedSea 750XXL 200 gallon.

99836133-D3AC-4907-85E5-16E70D8AFE0D.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, this isn't from stirring or vacuuming the sand bed - correct? Yes, I think your tank could benefit from some wavemakers if you don't have any. They won't blow everything off the sand, though (you'll need a good cleanup crew to take care of the rest).

Here's a snapshot of my Red Sea 750XXL (you can see the placement of the pair of Maxspect XF330s on either side of the overflow and a pair of ReefWave45s on either side of the tank).

Attachments

• 5ADCD079-2707-4533-9AAB-30BBADC7D639.jpeg
    5ADCD079-2707-4533-9AAB-30BBADC7D639.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, this isn't from stirring or vacuuming the sand bed - correct? Yes, I think your tank could benefit from some wavemakers if you don't have any. They won't blow everything off the sand, though (you'll need a good cleanup crew to take care of the rest).

Here's a snapshot of my Red Sea 750XXL (you can see the placement of the pair of Maxspect XF330s on either side of the overflow and a pair of ReefWave45s on either side of the tank).
No i didn’t stir the rocks or move them just moved my long cleaner above it quickly to fan it and all this came up. Do powerheads prevent this to a certain extent. Also are they enough, don’t these tank need anything to add oxygen to them like the bubble makers for fresh water tanks?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys when I was cleaning the inside of my tank I noticed the motion of cleaning stirred up alot of small debris and particles. Is it because I’m using rocks or because I don’t have powerheads in my tank, my return pump was initially very powerful (it would move away sand) so I got the model one down from Sicce. If I get powerheads will the movement of water prevent the debris buildup? I attached some pics so you have an idea? If so any recommendations on powerheads? I want something that looks nice and minimal but not outrageously expensive. I have a RedSea 750XXL 200 gallon.

99836133-D3AC-4907-85E5-16E70D8AFE0D.jpeg
Yes. you need flo. Unfortunately not inexpensive. My 3 XL900 is a little larger than your 750 but not much. I use 2 ReefWave 45s in each corner with the lower half the pump flowing forward and the top side flowing down the back side of the tack. 1 ReefWave 25 in the middle pointed slightly downward. To keep the surface water agitated-aeriated I use 2 Apex Waves.

As far as your return pump moving sand you have to fine tune the return nozzles direction. I took me a while to do that.

Here is a pic of mu pump placement.

IMG_3850.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i didn’t stir the rocks or move them just moved my long cleaner above it quickly to fan it and all this came up. Do powerheads prevent this to a certain extent. Also are they enough, don’t these tank need anything to add oxygen to them like the bubble makers for fresh water tanks?
Yes, wavemakers are all you need. EcoTech, Neptune, Red Sea and Aqua Illumination all make models that will work in your tank. For your setup (same as mine) I'd do with something like a pair of gyres on either end and probably at least two wavemakers (Vortech MP40, Nero 5) along the back wall.

@Jeffcb has a very unique (and probably very effective) setup with his ReefWaves and WAVs.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having powerheads is a big no no

I like sicce voyagers.

You can also dose some types of bacteria to help consume detritus assuming some of that is organic detritus

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To simplify you need water movement that will lift up the waste particles and move them to your overflow. How you design that is up to you.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having flow in your tank means that everything keeps moving in the water column, so that machines can remove it.

Flow also brings oxygen, and nutrients, to every part of the tank, corals need flow to survive.

Gunk, algae, and detritus build up faster in low flow environements. Basically, flow has lots of advantages, but no negatives (unless the flow is too high), it will help your tank overall and longterm,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back