Small live foods for Warty Frog?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my warty frog on Friday. He's taken a couple small guppy fry that I gut loaded prior to feeding him.

He's still far too small for the average grass shrimp that I've seen. I also wanted to avoid a diet that's high in shrimp due to potentially causing vitamin deficiencies.

What are some good options for a small frog that would contribute to a well rounded diet that wouldn't require a lot of extra effort to maintain? I had gotten a suggestion of larger amphipods, but I've never seen any that seem like they'd be large enough to grab his interest or be very filling for that matter.

20181208_192408.jpg

20181208_151126.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I would stick with the gut loaded guppies. There isn't much else out there small enough not to choke him.
Yes, frogfish can eat things almost as big as they are, but I can tell you from experience, overfeeding is a common cause of death .
I'd do 1 guppy a week until he is large enough to do something bigger. Even then, only once a week

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I would stick with the gut loaded guppies. There isn't much else out there small enough not to choke him.
Yes, frogfish can eat things almost as big as they are, but I can tell you from experience, overfeeding is a common cause of death .
I'd do 1 guppy a week until he is large enough to do something bigger. Even then, only once a week

I gave him two guppies so far because his belly was extremely flat and the single tiny guppy seemed to make no difference. I did wait until last night to give the second.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about their nutritional content. And I'm pretty sure you can't gut load them either. (Soak them in selcon, ect before feeding?) However, I believe a combination of blackworms, guppies, and shrimp will provide a well balanced diet.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may seem a little timid of the grass shrimp you find, but they really have no problem putting them down. Even at his size, his nature is to eat something as large as himself. I have found no problem offering ghosties, guppies, or molly babies(as large or larger than guppies) to these guys, no matter how small he is. Live brine shrimp is an option, but I find them a waste of time. You can put a couple of the smallest shrimp you find in his tank, and within a day if he is hungry, he will find them and eat them, or you can use the method I described in an earlier post. They will rarely eat blackworms unless they just happen to catch one on the way down when you introduce to the tank. They really need small fish or shrimp.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may seem a little timid of the grass shrimp you find, but they really have no problem putting them down. Even at his size, his nature is to eat something as large as himself. I have found no problem offering ghosties, guppies, or molly babies(as large or larger than guppies) to these guys, no matter how small he is. Live brine shrimp is an option, but I find them a waste of time. You can put a couple of the smallest shrimp you find in his tank, and within a day if he is hungry, he will find them and eat them, or you can use the method I described in an earlier post. They will rarely eat blackworms unless they just happen to catch one on the way down when you introduce to the tank. They really need small fish or shrimp.

I'll look into some small grass shrimp then and mix up his meals with the shrimp and some small fish.

Thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back