Small or Larger T5 Fixture?

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Everyone! I'm starting a 20 gallon long aquarium (dimensions 30"x12"x12") and will be using T5 with supplemental LED (most likely Orphek OR3) for lighting. Most T5 fixtures are either 2', 3', or 4'. Would it be better to go the smaller or 2' fixture and raise/lower as needed or a larger T5 fixture? I will be looking to grow LPS and/or softies (NO SPS IN THIS TANK).

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no SPS are you sure you don't want to just stick with LEDs?
I have been weighing this option as well. I just get lost in the great light debate of the LED world. I'm not sure what to start with. I'm really wanting to keep this a simple tank.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been weighing this option as well. I just get lost in the great light debate of the LED world. I'm not sure what to start with. I'm really wanting to keep this a simple tank.
Honestly, I think you'd be fine with a single horizontal LED. Something like an AI Hydra 32 or a pair of AI Prime 16s. There are numerous cheaper options as well, so maybe someone else can offer some suggestions?

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 6 foot tank I use a 5 foot light. Id do the 2 foot light on a 20 long. Probably a 4 bulb i don't think you'd need much more light than that. If you've never use t'5s before they grow just about anything like a weed. I do think if you had sps maybe something more, like supplemental led's. But there not really needed.

Imo halides grow better than t5s and t5s better than leds. But I probably listen to to many old reefers.

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Everyone! I'm starting a 20 gallon long aquarium (dimensions 30"x12"x12") and will be using T5 with supplemental LED (most likely Orphek OR3) for lighting. Most T5 fixtures are either 2', 3', or 4'. Would it be better to go the smaller or 2' fixture and raise/lower as needed or a larger T5 fixture? I will be looking to grow LPS and/or softies (NO SPS IN THIS TANK).
2ft should be fine for this tank. Just raise the light and you will get even spread. Use the sides for lower light coral.

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 6 foot tank I use a 5 foot light. Id do the 2 foot light on a 20 long. Probably a 4 bulb i don't think you'd need much more light than that. If you've never use t'5s before they grow just about anything like a weed. I do think if you had sps maybe something more, like supplemental led's. But there not really needed.

Imo halides grow better than t5s and t5s better than leds. But I probably listen to to many old reefers.
Solid advice.

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple t5 is all that is needed if you want to keep stupid simple and cost a lot less than a led. Even with a 2ft t5 you could grow sps if you ever want to.

Its up to you and Led are an option if you choose that route. They will grow coral as well.

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your budget

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate this advice! I'm out on the halides due to the heat. I have this tank in my office and I really don't want a ton of heat lol. I will be using a 4 bulb high-output fixture. I may add supplemental LED later if I feel like it, since it not a necessity in this case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple t5 is all that is needed if you want to keep stupid simple and cost a lot less than a led. Even with a 2ft t5 you could grow sps if you ever want to.

Its up to you and Led are an option if you choose that route. They will grow coral as well.
That is my plan, to make it a K.I.S.S tank (keep it stupid simple)!

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol this thread pushed t5 hard, i use a 6 bulb t5 too but on a 30x12x12 inch tank i think you save money going with an led option. 2 reef led bars would cover the whole tank like orphek or nicobar, but there are even cheaper and pretty good options like the smatfarms led
either way wait til black friday and everything will be cheaper regardless if you go with t5 or led, happy reefing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol this thread pushed t5 hard, i use a 6 bulb t5 too but on a 30x12x12 inch tank i think you save money going with an led option. 2 reef led bars would cover the whole tank like orphek or nicobar, but there are even cheaper and pretty good options like the smatfarms led
either way wait til black friday and everything will be cheaper regardless if you go with t5 or led, happy reefing

As I continue to wait for Black Friday to buy lighting I'm starting to sway towards just going with LED strips such as the Orphek OR3. Would I just need 1 or two?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just one, from what the par charts show 1 or3 equal to about 2 t5 bulbs output

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second can always be added in the future if you want to add more blue or just more light but they need additional mounting or can be hung above the tank with simple wall brackets if there is a stud above the tank. Smatfarms is a bit easier as it comes with the mounting but i think you may need 2 for a 30 inch area, not sure with those specifically. 1 noopsyche v3 may work as well and is on discount for 158$, just some more options to research

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back