Small red sea cucumber?

napalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this small red (sea cucumber?) On the sandbed

For some extra context the grid its on is 1x1 cm its in a 200L aquarium with 4 seahorses, i dip all my coral but didn't dip my macro algae (also once a gorgonian with a small red tree sponge was added to the aquarium with out dipping because i wasn't home to receive it), the last time i added anything to my aquarium was atleast 3 months ago and nothing has died since (although mu flatworm issues has gone away?) Its about 2,5cm long (1inch) and it has a butt shape on both ends.

If its harmless id like to add it back to the tank but id like to know what it is

20230913_172733.jpg

OP
OP
N

napalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also its not stuck on surfaces like you would expect a snail to be its more walking /crawling ontop

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know do any cucumbers that are bad for a reef tank. Usually the filter-feeding types don’t survive due to not meeting nutritional needs. If yours has been with you for months (at least), and you haven’t noticed any issues, I would place him back. Can you tell if he’s feeding by consuming sand or filter feeding from the water column?

OP
OP
N

napalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know do any cucumbers that are bad for a reef tank. Usually the filter-feeding types don’t survive due to not meeting nutritional needs. If yours has been with you for months (at least), and you haven’t noticed any issues, I would place him back. Can you tell if he’s feeding by consuming sand or filter feeding from the water column?
Im guessing the sand type because i haven't seen him extend anything to filter feed and he was found on the sandbed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back