Small tank dosing?

CoralBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon biocube just a couple of corals and clownfish. Tank is about 6 months old and I want to start manually dosing for alk, cal, and mag.
My question is am I going to have to dose all the time in a small tank?I know this is relative to how many corals and inverts I have but for the time being while bioload is low I shouldn’t have to dose too often should I? I can always get auto-doser down the road but I think manual is a good place to start.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dose what? If it’s alkalinity then that depends on demand, even coralline algae can create measurable demand ... maybe at least get a ATO of some type even for a small tank and use say 1/4 tsp of Kalk per gal and keep measuring (even that may be too much) for the rest of possible additives I’d manually dose if it were me... someone feel free to post a contrasting opinion/ method

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your test results? Ultimately these will tell you if you need to dose and if so, how often. The type of corals you have would be helpful to know as well. Soft corals tend to not mind changes in parameters like alkalinity as much, whereas stony corals do.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back