Small tank with corals and one (maybe 2) spectacular 2-4" fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're joking, right??
Edit: I see that you were mislead by your LFS. I appreciate your replies to the posts letting you know this is not good practice. There's much to learn in this hobby - and it's a lot different than keeping freshwater.

Please start a new thread and ask any questions you have - we all want you to be successful! :)
100%

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that part of the conversation, for me, what they had told me in LFS was the correct thing, I would have wanted to go through the entire process to start this hobby but for one thing or another they gave me the tank already cycled, with fish and corals And everything, what do you want me to say that I'm sorry for everyone who has been in this hobby for many years? Well, I'm sorry, apparently many who spoke here were never wrong and were missguided by someone's advice and I'm no longer going to follow this conversation because this topic from someone else revolved around me, have a very good Easter day and thank you for your advices everyone

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that part of the conversation, for me, what they had told me in LFS was the correct thing,
I think the key takeaway is that don't ever trust a single source of information, especially when you are not at all in the know.

what do you want me to say that I'm sorry for everyone who has been in this hobby for many years?
No need to apologize - just learn and grow. You appear to be on the right path.

Well, I'm sorry, apparently many who spoke here were never wrong and were missguided by someone's advice
Nah it happens all of time, everyone on the planet. I am wrong about something every day. We often get called out when do do silly things too, and sometimes it is uncomfortable... hopefully we learn and don't keep doing them.

have a very good Easter day and thank you for your advices everyone
You also, happy Easter and happy reefing. Good luck with the tank.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it feasible to put together a 15-20 gallon reef tank with but one or maybe 2 spectacular fish of 3-4 inches and a variety of soft and LPS corals?
To answer the original question in this thread...yes it is very feasible.
There are plenty of 3-4 inch fish that can live in a 15-20 gallon tank.
I started this hobby with a 20 gallon long aquarium and had 2 wrasses and 2 clowns. They thrived for years and were eventually moved to a much larger tank when I upgraded.

For a 15-20 gallon tank, there are various reef safe wrasses that are feasible. Many Basslets, Gobies and of course Clown Fish. You can go on with Damsels (aggressive) and chromis.
I have ZERO experience with Hawkfish but from what I have read those can live in that size tank as-well.

For the "HOT TOPIC" of the 32 gallon bio cube with the widely unaccepted stock list. I agree with all of you that the tangs and angelfish should be re-homed. However, the method of which this was shared could have been better in my opinion. We as reefing hobbyists have to remember that there are people of all ages and experience levels on this site. Many individuals use this platform to share their stories and to learn as-well.

Without trying to seek info out, the individual with the 32g bio cube could be new to the hobby (R2R join date of Dec of 2023) and is still trying to figure things out. Just because some of us have taken our time and researched thoroughly on fish and coral stock lists doesn't mean everyone does. When I first started this hobby I relied heavily on my LFS much like this person probably did as-well.

Imagine if one of us was on this forum learning and came across this thread....they would probably leave with a sense of hesitation about this Hobby. Reef2Reef is a great encyclopedia of reefing knowledge for everyone in this hobby. If we want our hobby to continue to grow and for the knowledge to be shared we have to do a better job of sharing feedback with people.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong here but we share our opinions so I figured I would share mine.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thread cleaned unless I missed one. If I did report it please.

A few things.

1. Please stop being rude to one another, new members and old members.

2. Please stop using the emoticons aggressively or passive aggressively.

We will remove posting privileges and emoticon privileges for those that continue.

Thank you.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the key takeaway is that don't ever trust a single source of information, especially when you are not at all in the know.
I wholeheartedly agree with @BeanAnimal. Take all information you read with a grain of salt. We are all colored by our experiences and bias. Multiple trust source that said essentially the same thing are best. However even reefers with the most experienced are not infallible.
There are a lot of bad information online too. Anybody can said anything on line. The reason why I posted my first post on this thread is trying to keep inexperienced reefers from thinking what @luis angel's doing is the norm. As it turnout, Luis is a novice reef keeper. Every one of us was a novice once. I clearly remembered the first 3 animals I killed as a salt water aquarist, two A. ocellaris and a Condylactis gigantea anemone. From what he wrote, I think young Luis will be a great reef keeper for years to come. If there is anything I can do to help, I would be happy to do so.
Welcome to the hobby.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 15-20 gallon tank, there are various reef safe wrasses that are feasible. Many Basslets, Gobies and of course Clown Fish. You can go on with Damsels (aggressive) and chromis.
I have ZERO experience with Hawkfish but from what I have read those can live in that size tank as-well.
For a 15 there are def many gobies and blennies that would work. I would skip the damsels, ignoring aggression, most actually get very large. I do think 15 is too small for clowns. Hawk fish can get rather big and I think in a confined space would eat anything that they could drag down.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread cleaned unless I missed one. If I did report it please.
My sincere apologies for my part in this. My frustration with others gets the better of me sometimes.

Happy Easter rev, sorry to take you away from family time.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it feasible to put together a 15-20 gallon reef tank with but one or maybe 2 spectacular fish of 3-4 inches and a variety of soft and LPS corals?
A long time ago, 18 years ago, I set up a marine tank for my son's 2nd grade class room. It was a very simple tank with a pair On Onyx Percular, Rose BTA, a Crocea Clam and CUC. HOB skimmer with heater in it and a Orbit 175 W MH. My son would bring RO water from home to top off daily and every month I will help him change 5 gal water. The teacher and all the student would pitch in and feed the fish. I came in and talk to all the 2nd grade student about reef aquarium, clown fish, anemone and giant clams.
That tank was quite a hit for the school. We took the tank down at the end of the year. There were no mortality, not even CUC.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the original question in this thread...yes it is very feasible.
There are plenty of 3-4 inch fish that can live in a 15-20 gallon tank.
I started this hobby with a 20 gallon long aquarium and had 2 wrasses and 2 clowns. They thrived for years and were eventually moved to a much larger tank when I upgraded.

To follow up on this here is a link to a recent thread talking about "High End" nano fish

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back