Smallest Bubble Tip a Clown Can Host

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got my first bubble tip anemone, it is maybe an inch and a half wide. I know clowns can host small anemones but does anybody know how small exactly? I am hoping they will find it in a few days but with my luck they never will. In a week or so once its settled in I'm going to start feeding it twice a week until its a good size, then cut down to once a week.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size you're better off if they don't find it. I've had clowns kill several small anemones that couldn't handle the constant "nestling."

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size you're better off if they don't find it. I've had clowns kill several small anemones that couldn't handle the constant "nestling."

That's interesting, I've only heard of that happening to corals. Any thoughts on how fast this type of anemone will grow? I have flower anemones that grow at a decent pace with little feeding but would like to start target feeding more, and I assume a bubble tips growth rate would be similar.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs can grow relatively quickly, but bigger ones can grow bigger faster. Yours is tiny. It will take awhile before it is big. Small anemones can be harassed to death by clowns, but I am going to assume that your clowns are perculas or occelaris that may never go near the anemone. If you have maroons or clarkiis I would be trying to shield the nem.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs can grow relatively quickly, but bigger ones can grow bigger faster. Yours is tiny. It will take awhile before it is big. Small anemones can be harassed to death by clowns, but I am going to assume that your clowns are perculas or occelaris that may never go near the anemone. If you have maroons or clarkiis I would be trying to shield the nem.

Yeah they are one of those two although I'm not sure which one. I do hope one day in the next few months they find it because its one of the more expensive things I have in my tank and even though its nice to look at it's even nicer to see some clownfish inside of it. My tank is pretty small so I think once it is a couple inches across they would find it but you never know lol

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair of black and white clowns in a tank with around 20 anemones for about 4 years and they have never even looked at them. They much prefer their rock ledge.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair of black and white clowns in a tank with around 20 anemones for about 4 years and they have never even looked at them. They much prefer their rock ledge.

Well that would be my luck. Currently their spot is a corner where my return comes in but I feel like an anemone would be much cozier. By the way, do they always move? Mines been in the tank for 2 hours and hasn't moved from the rock he came in on.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the nem has about doubled in size (I'm sure some of it is just from it being more open after adjusting) but I've been feeding it mysis and pellets nearly every day. Clowns still haven't found it but I am hoping that in a month or so it will be 4" across so it's easy to find. For some reason it has still stayed on its original rock it came in on, but does move around to a different area of the rock depending on when my lights are on or off.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back