Smart plug operated solenoid?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Reefers!

I am looking for some advice out in the world of solenoid valves and a way to control them.

I am seeing PH swings on my tank down to 7.8 and I want to fit a CO2 scrubber to my system using the skimmer intake fitted with a Y-connector to avoid overflow when the solenoid is closed. Below description of the setup I am planning on using:

- Reef Octopus Regal 150-S protein skimmer
- BRS CO2 reactor
- Solenoid valve (on/of control using a Reef Factory smart plug)
- Reef Factory PH monitor programmed to switch the smart plug on/off depending on the current PH

Question: Does anyone know of a solenoid valve that will open/close by a power on/off signal that I can use?

Thanks,

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about just fitting the skimmer with the c02 scrubber and see if it even needs control first?
This seems like a fun project but do you 100% think its needed if you dont experience low ph or swings anymore with a c02 scrubber?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about just fitting the skimmer with the c02 scrubber and see if it even needs control first?
This seems like a fun project but do you 100% think its needed if you dont experience low ph or swings anymore with a c02 scrubber?
Thank you, that is a very good point! :upside-down-face: I do have a scrubber on the way, I will connect it directly to my Regal 150 skimmer and assess my need for control.

The gear junkie in me however have already decided that some sort of control is required- and since I am already heavily involved in the Reef Factory eco-system, I'd really like to explore above option if at all possible! :p

Chances are that control is not required- but..... it always is :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is a very good point! :upside-down-face: I do have a scrubber on the way, I will connect it directly to my Regal 150 skimmer and assess my need for control.

The gear junkie in me however have already decided that some sort of control is required- and since I am already heavily involved in the Reef Factory eco-system, I'd really like to explore above option if at all possible! :p

Chances are that control is not required- but..... it always is :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
FWIW,
Swings generally happen during times of occupation (increased c02 as people and animals are in the home) so the c02 scrubber can effectively reduce the increased c02 without throwing your tank out of range vs using chemicals like baking powder or kalkwasser.
In my semi small home, 3 people and 2 dogs do not make my PH swing more than a couple points.

Always worth a shot and then let the inner gear head loose if its not working like youd hoped!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid a solenoid valve as the typical ones you'd find require energy to keep them open. Depending on how long your cycles are or frequently it kicks on that could heat up significantly and wear out.

I'm using an electric ball valve for my CO2 scrubber and it's working great. The switch energizes and opens the valve and closes when power is cut off.

This is the one I bought: BACOENG 1" DN25 110VAC Stainless Steel Motorized Ball Valve,NC Electrical Ball Valve https://a.co/d/4B0abdl

If you do go with a solenoid, make sure you know the state you'll be in most often (ie open or closed) they make NO (normal open) and NC (normal closed) valves and it will reduce wear and tear.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back