HOB skimmer priming with automation

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking ahead with my current tank conditions of .05 Phosphates and 5 Nitrates. I'm too close to bottoming out so I want to raise nutrients. I'd like to do so by automating my skimmer with a 12/12 schedule. The problem is that it's a HOB as I don't have a sump. I'd love a 1/4" 0-10v proportional valve for the air line however I would probably have to engineer it myself. I suppose that I could use a 1/4" solenoid. Has anyone attempted this? To prime the pump, the instructions state to remove the hose from the silencer and place it in the water, but I think plugging it will work just as well. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20231230_014838_Chrome.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking ahead with my current tank conditions of .05 Phosphates and 5 Nitrates. I'm too close to bottoming out so I want to raise nutrients. I'd like to do so by automating my skimmer with a 12/12 schedule. The problem is that it's a HOB as I don't have a sump. I'd love a 1/4" 0-10v proportional valve for the air line however I would probably have to engineer it myself. I suppose that I could use a 1/4" solenoid. Has anyone attempted this? To prime the pump, the instructions state to remove the hose from the silencer and place it in the water, but I think plugging it will work just as well. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20231230_014838_Chrome.jpg
I am unaware of any studies that demonstrate skimmers affect nitrate concentration that much in an aquarium. Leave it on 24/7.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am unaware of any studies that demonstrate skimmers affect nitrate concentration that much in an aquarium. Leave it on 24/7.
Skimmers remove organics that would turn into nitrates. If this wasn't the case, we would all be running $10 tetra whispers for O2, no?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers remove organics that would turn into nitrates. If this wasn't the case, we would all be running $10 tetra whispers for O2, no?
No one has tried in a systematic way what you suggest :)

Skimmers do remove colored material and microorganisms. My contention is that the amount is small potatoes, and left in the aquarium, it would not result in a spike in nitrate. I like removing the colored waste from my aquarium with a skimmer but I am not sure it matters given how well bacteria consume things.

I believe a nutrient depleted system can easily be obtained without a skimmer. Shutting off your skimmer will not, I predict, result in an increase in nitrate.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No one has tried in a systematic way what you suggest :)

Skimmers do remove colored material and microorganisms. My contention is that the amount is small potatoes, and left in the aquarium, it would not result in a spike in nitrate. I like removing the colored waste from my aquarium with a skimmer but I am not sure it matters given how well bacteria consume things.

I believe a nutrient depleted system can easily be obtained without a skimmer. Shutting off your skimmer will not, I predict, result in an increase in nitrate.
Fair enough... in your defense, I took my skimmer offline for a year and didn't do a water change for two years in order to raise nutrients to fight dinos. The nutrients never really took off like I assumed so. They stayed at normal levels. The symbiosis with live rock, bacteria, and the animals are all we need to be successful. I'll keep my skimmer on and feed more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back