Smart to leave Tangs for last?

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it smart to leave Tangs to be the last fish added to a tank? I dont want to obviously have any new fish get beaten up if I add one too soon.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it smart to leave Tangs to be the last fish added to a tank? I dont want to obviously have any new fish get beaten up if I add one too soon.
I say it’s a catch 22
Leave it for last because of aggression or put it first as part of your clean up crew. Think it all comes down to what the other fish are going to be.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opt for last. My 120 has 6 chromis
1 lawnmower blenny 1 pajama cardinal 1 clown 1 yellow coris wrasse.
I added a convict and tomini as the last fish.
Funny as the convict breaks up the chromis when they get agressive towards each other.
Peaceful tank at the moment.
I feed heavy and all are growing quite fast.

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking this is best route for me. Just had to confirm for my sanity

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last. Use other algae grazers like Foxface, your current Lawnmower Blenny etc. if you want fish that pick at algae. Adding tangs first can add issues on tangs that are territorial to new additions.
Also if you want certain fish in your plan, they can be intimidated by presence of tangs first in tank. The frenzy in which tangs eat off a nori clip (or meaty foods in water) can make a less dominant fish like Copperband Butterfly, Sunburst Anthias etc. reluctant to get in the fray. They can end up not eating enough to sustain themselves.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last. Use other algae grazers like Foxface, your current Lawnmower Blenny etc. if you want fish that pick at algae. Adding tangs first can add issues on tangs that are territorial to new additions.
Also if you want certain fish in your plan, they can be intimidated by presence of tangs first in tank. The frenzy in which tangs eat off a nori clip (or meaty foods in water) can make a less dominant fish like Copperband Butterfly, Sunburst Anthias etc. reluctant to get in the fray. They can end up not eating enough to sustain themselves.
Yea my tomini swims easily around the tank picking at the rocks.
The convict is another story. Never stops moving and picking at the coralline and rocks.
More active than the chromis.
They are hard to keep from what I have read and mine was thin when I got him but eating at the lfs.
Has fattened up with 4 feedings a day.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90’s reefer that is great about your convict. Great looking tang & one of the more peaceful.

@LFCBVB you can submit your stocking plan & get suggestions for order or even fish you might like.
Keep in mind some LFS employees don’t have as much experience as others. Check on forum first. For instance don’t let someone tell you it will work to add a tang now if it is small or a certain species.

I was going to put link for you to ask reef squad but see @nereefpat is posting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90’s reefer that is great about your convict. Great looking tang & one of the more peaceful.

@LFCBVB you can submit your stocking plan & get suggestions for order or even fish you might like.
Keep in mind some LFS employees don’t have as much experience as others. Check on forum first. For instance don’t let someone tell you it will work to add a tang now if it is small or a certain species.

I was going to put link for your to ask reef squad but see @nereefpat is posting.
Really appreciate the help!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back