SMD repair/replacement

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I had a burnout on my light and it looks like I cooked a couple SMD R00 components. Anybody have any tricks for testing/confirming that is the issue and if so any tips on how to remove and solder some new ones in?

Cheers

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R00 sounds like it's just a jumper resistor. You may be able to test by touching a wire to both ends, but only if they really are 0 ohm resistors.

Can you post some pictures of what you are looking to repair? I usually try a hot air rework station to remove bad parts and just carefully solder on replacements. That can be tricky depending on what else is around the repair area.

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R00 sounds like it's just a jumper resistor. You may be able to test by touching a wire to both ends, but only if they really are 0 ohm resistors.

Can you post some pictures of what you are looking to repair? I usually try a hot air rework station to remove bad parts and just carefully solder on replacements. That can be tricky depending on what else is around the repair area.

I'll get you a photo later tonight. I'll try the jumper method to see if the LEDs are fried or if the resistors went first. I'm not sure I have the soldering skill to put a piece that size back in though even if it is the issue.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A zero ohm resistor (zero ohm link) usually will look like a normal resistor but only have 1 brown band on it. If that is what it is you can just jumper it. Only used in manufacturing process to save cost of not using separate automated machines to install a jumper.
Edit: band is black but usually looks brown against the light brown body.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it says R00 on it, it's a jumper resistor. I'm an Electronics Tech and familiar with them. If there is no glue holding them to the board, (lots of times you can see a little bit of glue under it on the sides), you can use solder wick and an iron to remove them.

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it says R00 on it, it's a jumper resistor. I'm an Electronics Tech and familiar with them. If there is no glue holding them to the board, (lots of times you can see a little bit of glue under it on the sides), you can use solder wick and an iron to remove them.

So in theory then, I can pull them off with wick and just install a jumper wire? I think they were just used because the board is printed. I'm still at work and hopefully I'll be able to snag a picture later

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back