Help with PCB design using SMD components

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I need a little help with my next non ReefPi related project. A while back I built this little fire/security hazard:
C807587E-EE48-4ED0-AF7A-A4E1752D7B15.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

It’s a battery powered (2x2000mAh LiPo) self heating mug with WiFi Interface and a small OLED screen.

Now I want to bring that project to a better state, since the DS18B20 temperature sensors died on me and the whole thing is kind of falling apart :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I’m planning to build something more compact into the bottom of a double walled steel mug, using a designed PCB, SMD components and a 3D printed housing. I’m also planning to exchange the DS18B20 sensors with NTC resistors, either in a resistance bridge or with OP-Amps and a self calibration routine.

First things first though:
I think I would like some advice on PCB designing with SMD stuff, e.g. what programs and manufacturers you use ( I’m planning on having as much pre-soldered as possible) and what to look out for.

I’m appreciating all the help I can get, since this will be my first .

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had access to Protel DXP for years and made my own footprints, etc. Autodesk bought eagle and it is part of the Fusion360 suite now. They may have an edu or hobby option still. I don‘t know of other options, esp with autorouting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back