Smelly Tank

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small frag tank plumbed into my display tank, they are in two separate rooms, and the frag tank has a bit of a funk....so much so the wife is noticing which isn't good. I'm curious what would make it smell, but not the display tank? I have one fish in there and a couple emerald crabs, but no snails. The frag tank has some live rock a there is a bit of GHA.

Any ideas why? And most importantly any ideas on how to get rid of the smell?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the frag tank is in a smaller room with limited ventilation then the odor would be stronger there than where the other tank is. Carbon or Purigen are the best for removing odors. As for what is causing them, it's most likely out gassing from the nitrifying bacteria as they process the waste from your fish, corals, and inverts.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in the frag tank? Any used rock or sand that could be going through a cycle? Maybe both tanks smell but you just don't notice the other. Either way, carbon will remove the smell. I run carbon 24/7 and replace it monthly. It probably doesn't do much at the end, but it doesn't hurt to keep running it. It keeps smells away and the water from becoming yellow.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back