Snail recommendations to get rid of this algae?

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. My tank is a nuvo 30 gal and it just recently got through cycling and is now going through the ugly phase and developing this algae on my rocks the flows around with the circulation. So far I've added 2 nassarius, 2 astrea and 1 cerith snails to my tank but I feel like it's not enough. The nassarius just hides in the sand, astreas dont seem to be doing much or moving around much and the cerith is so tiny I dont think it can do a the work on it's own. Any suggestions? I know trochus would likely be good but I've been finding it hard to find them at the fish stores near me. Also, what would be a good amount of snails to have without having it overpopulated since I havent added and coral or fish yet

20200209_152205.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#1 trochus

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to avoid hermits as I plan on getting a pistol shrimp eventually. Could definitely pick up a turbo though. My lfs has those for sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Turbo, conch and pin cushion urchin
Liquid vibrant(how I got rid of mine) will work also as will fluconasal (flux)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say but the snails likely won’t touch that. My snails didn’t touch the thicker (long) algae like that. Got a couple emerald crabs and the tank is clean. Hermits are pretty slow and easy to catch If you have to get rid of them.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I try a couple hermits and see if the pistol doesnt bother them in the future? Conch will be for sure too big for my tank though

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I try a couple hermits and see if the pistol doesnt bother them in the future? Conch will be for sure too big for my tank though
Why not? Just take them out when you get your pistol shrimp. Your lfs will be happy to take the hermits back and give you 10 cents in store credit. ;Hilarious

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin. I wish I went that route from the beginning instead of getting a bunch of snails. Urchins will also help cut down on the coralline you'll eventually find yourself scraping off the glass.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank isnt stocked yet though. I heard it's better to wait until it's more established before adding an urchin.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on adding coral frags in a week or so, then 2 clows, goby and pistol shrimp two weeks later and then maybe more coral 2 weeks after that. Thinking I would add an urchin then. In the meantime would a couple hermits help? The may be left alone by the pistol since the tank is around 3 feet long but shallow. Not sure

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you actually call the type of algae I have right now? Is it hair algae? Its not growing in huge clumps or fuzzy. Kinda just looks stringy and flowy

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis because of the branching being very visible.
Hair is very fine and looks like hair. Branching is so small its hard to see.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back