Snails crawling on my surface skimmer.

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my snails been crawling on my surface skimmer causing the water level to drop in the return chamber if my AIO. So my ATO ends up pumping a bunch of extra water and messing up salinity. I'm thinking of gluing something on the skimmer like velcro or something sharp so they won't crawl on there but idk what exactly to use that would be reef safe? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont have any specific answer, most PVC/Acrylic based solution are good, use them with superglue may be? I wonder if some kind of barbed/spiked contraption will help. That is how we protect plants from snails (by keeping rose stem)

Peter uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my snails been crawling on my surface skimmer causing the water level to drop in the return chamber if my AIO. So my ATO ends up pumping a bunch of extra water and messing up salinity. I'm thinking of gluing something on the skimmer like velcro or something sharp so they won't crawl on there but idk what exactly to use that would be reef safe? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Have you found the solution. I added first cuc and guess what the same issue ato going crazy when turbo snails climbing over on surface skimming plate. Regards

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and how much extra is being pumped? Are you using a controller to manage the pump you could set to a maximum runtime per set time period? I think I have mine set to max 20sec/hr.

Peter uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only small and this is the problem (fluval sea evo). Not sure how much exactly being pumped. Ato I'm using is DD with two digital sensors, can't set up timing on it. When snail move the surface skimming plate, water in the rear chamber dropping and setting off the ato few times in the raw. I might need to glue the plate but then I won't have that flexibility.

Attachments

• 17114384945201297059157333177800.jpg
    17114384945201297059157333177800.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back