SNAILS!!......DEAD?

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of a sudden i wake up and most of my snails look dead like they fell of the glass onto their backs in the sand....and the turbos are very slow or look the same...help....kindof tripping out here

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is Your tank ? What have you got in there ? What are Your parameters?? The more info you can give , the quicker an answer you'll get .!! I'm sorry for your loss !!

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water test yesterday everything good going to test again today....i know ph might be low in am should i wait a few more hours before testing? Tank is 2 months after cycle so 4 total. 2 tangs, anem, 2 clowns, 2 damsils, corals. for the past 2 days my anem has been acting as its splitting, today its still acting as it is..... i really think it might be it looks healthy to me

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nem looks like it might split the tank is sulking about something, Any changes made to the tank?

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not since the anem....only thing would have been about a 10-15g water change about 4 days ago...tested 2 times since and everything normal....i going retest in a couple hours once full lights are on

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! just retested ***** gettin real! ph 7.6 (early morning, not worried) ammonia 2.0, nitrates 0, nitrites .25
ammonia was at 1 yesterday, i added prime at the correct dose for 75g tank. saw snails dead everything else is fine, no bleaching or anything.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do another 20 % water change too start with .. you need too get that ammonia down !

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't give up on snails for day or two. I had all three of my nerite fall on their backs one night (never figured out why) I flipped them over when seen them after woke up and 2 out of 3 survived and started moving again later that day and that's been month ago now. Hope things get better and sorry to hear about your problem.

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call me paranoid....but i set up another small 30 gallon tank the same time i did my main tank...it just has no coral or fish...has rock and sand thats the water i use for water changes the levels on that are perfect.....should i use that for my change or should i not just in case i need to move everything

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave that set up in case you have too move fish , how fast have you been adding them fish , maybe that's what's caused your ammonia spike . Did you test your tank that it can convert 1-2 ppm ammonia in 24 hrs at the end of cycling ?
Can you make new water for your water change ?

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
false alarm on the snails i just checked....tank params still off....i can make new water yes, i have more than enough salt

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave that set up in case you have too move fish , how fast have you been adding them fish , maybe that's what's caused your ammonia spike . Did you test your tank that it can convert 1-2 ppm ammonia in 24 hrs at the end of cycling ?
Can you make new water for your water change ?
i added 2 fish about 2 months ago just to check if they would survive unfortunately they did but i hate them they attck my hands and thiery not pretty by any means...anyway then about 3 weeks later a yellow tang, and 2 clowns, and about 2 weeks ago the anem . about 15 coral frags were added after the first 2 ffish

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change asap ! Keep an eye on your fish , test ammonia again in a few hrs

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is far far too young for a nem IMO , nems do a lot better in a mature tank so after 6-8 months old ,your tank is far too unstable at this stage ...

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mistake made by spouse....the thought was there just not the knowledge . i agree on the age

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked that all inhabitants are there, could be something dead causing the ammonia spike?
Check your levels of fresh mix too!

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. There might be a chemical pollutant that caused something to die and cause the spike. I'd wc, and add carbon if you're not already....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back