Snails in my skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Auquanut
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2018
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
24,057
Location
Mexico, Mo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to take apart my skimmer 3 times in the last month to remove snails. It doesn't look like there's THAT many in the sump, but somehow they all wind up in the skimmer. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't had any problem with the return. I assume they're small enough that if they're getting into the intake, they're just getting a free ride into the display.
 
It happens. I have filter socks in my sump and it still happens every now and then. I think I have had like 3 get in the pump over the last several years.
 
I guess it's just bad timing that they seem to have lined up to be eaten by the skimmer. I clean it fairly regularly and haven't had any problem in the past. Just a little frustrating though.
 
We used to get snails and limpets in the skimmer. Cleaned the skimmer every few months but they never caused an issue

Same here. I like seeing the limpets make it in there, less for me to clean!!
 
I guess it's just bad timing that they seem to have lined up to be eaten by the skimmer. I clean it fairly regularly and haven't had any problem in the past. Just a little frustrating though.
I believe it's a common problem. High oxygenation and algae makes for a nice spot to graze.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new