Snails in skimmer

c_johns89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2021
Messages
63
Reaction score
42
Location
Highland Park
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with snails getting stuck in the skimmer pump water intake? My trochus snails spawned in my tank and I have a bunch of babies, which I thought was great, until this morning. I saw that my skimmer wasn't drawing in enough water so I assumed it was clogged with something. Behold, ~4 baby trochus snails managed to find their way into the pump intake, with a rather large baby causing most of the issues.

The skimmer is an Icecap k2-120, which sits in an old oceanic 20 gallon sump. It only has one baffle separating the return pump from the skimmer/heater/live rock. I was wondering if I should put the skimmer in one of those aquatic plant baskets.

Cheers,
Chris
 
Yes- small ones will clog up pumps and powerheads in numbers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new