Snails keep falling over

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I have a question that I can’t seem to figure out. I know every now and then you’ll have a snail fall over. Well every snail in my tank all end up flipped on there sides. All my snails are banded trochus. They never flip themselves over like they normally do. I just don’t understand how all of my snails end up flipped over and don’t even bother to move after the flip over. Any ideas?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.025

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be fish flipping them over. Wrasses sometimes will try to eat them and give up once the snail closes. I have one tank with a convict tang that is an overly aggressive algae eater. He pecks at the shells so much he knocks them over and I have to reset them everyday.

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermit crabs torment my snails frequency. They get on their shells which makes the snail aggressively rotate themselves to get them off. 50% of the time both tumble down to the sand bed. I usually have to flip them over when that happens.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything new?
Have you dipped any new corals?

OP
OP
B

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermit crabs torment my snails frequency. They get on their shells which makes the snail aggressively rotate themselves to get them off. 50% of the time both tumble down to the sand bed. I usually have to flip them over when that happens.
I have only two hermits and I know they can do it but not cause 10 trochus snails to fall over off the glass. Plus the snails are three time the size of my hermits

OP
OP
B

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be fish flipping them over. Wrasses sometimes will try to eat them and give up once the snail closes. I have one tank with a convict tang that is an overly aggressive algae eater. He pecks at the shells so much he knocks them over and I have to reset them everyday.
Only fish I have in this tank is a gold dot maroon

OP
OP
B

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus sp. is sensitive to high nitrate levels.... I would retest since its happening to all of them. or could be starving....
Could be they are starving. I’ve never had nitrates in this tank. I have Pom Pom Xenia growing like crazy and taking out my nitrates. I feed every other day and when I feed it’s very little since I only have one fish in the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back