Snap great top-down shots with our new lens Porthole!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody comment on cleaning?

How hard is it to clean the inside of the lens?

Kevin
Still trying to figure that out myself...:( I mean you can wipe them out decently but to get it spotless is a pain... I got water in mine the first night lol... I have all the acrylic cleaners and stuff in the world but I'm afraid to try them because they leave a residue and might mess up my pics...:( for Now just water and a soft cloth... I can clean all of it where the lens sees pretty well but to get it all out from the little crevices on the sides near the bottom is a chore...:( all in all the part that needs to be cleaned where the lens sees is a breeze the rest arrrrrr lol

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to figure that out myself...:( I mean you can wipe them out decently but to get it spotless is a pain... I got water in mine the first night lol... I have all the acrylic cleaners and stuff in the world but I'm afraid to try them because they leave a residue and might mess up my pics...:( for Now just water and a soft cloth... I can clean all of it where the lens sees pretty well but to get it all out from the little crevices on the sides near the bottom is a chore...:( all in all the part that needs to be cleaned where the lens sees is a breeze the rest arrrrrr lol

Thanks, i had the melevsreef square box and ended up cracking the seems with my hands while trying to clean it. This one seems to to be smaller and i can see it being a pain to get in the tube itself.

Removable lens maybe? Threaded with an o-ring?

Right now i use a glass box i made with some home depot glass and silicone. 12L x 8W x 3H Works great for when customers are browsing the tanks. But with lights on a mover its tricky not to get the light glare in the shot. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but i know i will do as you did and then kick my own butt afterward. lol

Kevin

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of shots I took with the Porthole:
DSC_0154smm33.jpg
Wow Sonny, the color on that little maxima is so intense!

I use Novus 1, just spray some on the inside and wad up a cloth (t-shirt works well) and fill the tube with it. Spin it around a few times and pull it out. Any minor streaks will evaporate and leave no residue. That's how I prep all the acrylic for product photos and it seems to work well enough. You shouldn't need to worry about leaving a tiny bit of dust in the edge of the lens, as the area that the lens uses is going to be much smaller than the total diameter, unless you use a really wide angle lens.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share some pics I took with the porthole I got in today (look past the bubble algae that I'm fighting). Thanks a bunch to Avast, can't wait to have more time to play :)

DSC_2679.jpg

DSC_2680.jpg

DSC_2683.jpg

DSC_2686.jpg

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Pretty slick little gadget. Now I just need some type of stand that will sit across the tank so my shaky hands quit screwin up the pictures lol

lowbudget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i can say is wow. wow. mine did come with a few small scratch but i just cant wait.
IMG_86341.jpg

IMG_86331.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. Thanks for sharing Aloha!

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome addition to anyones camera if I owened one:neutral: I would buy one:bigsmile:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awaiting Angie's approval to go ahead and order both sizes, hopefully today!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back