Snorkeling & Collecting Discussion Group

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first set of photos were GREAT! I was in Hawaii in 1994 and I'd love to go back. My current wife (this is #3) loves to snorkel as much or more than I do. I only got to snorkel a few times back then, no digital camera and wife #2 didn't like the water!
Hey Ron, the wife and I are headed back to the keys from Oct 8th thru the 11th to pick up some more critters. Was just wondering if anything has changed down there over the past two years. I looked at the regulations and they looked about the same but figured you would know best as far as collecting goes. The only place we were able to collect in Sept 2021 was Horseshoe. We tried looking for a kayak company that had racks but none of them did so we weren’t able to go to little money key like you suggested.

Anyway, hope you guys are doing well

[email protected]

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ron, the wife and I are headed back to the keys from Oct 8th thru the 11th to pick up some more critters. Was just wondering if anything has changed down there over the past two years. I looked at the regulations and they looked about the same but figured you would know best as far as collecting goes. The only place we were able to collect in Sept 2021 was Horseshoe. We tried looking for a kayak company that had racks but none of them did so we weren’t able to go to little money key like you suggested.

Anyway, hope you guys are doing well

[email protected]
Hi Larry,

We have only been to the Keys once (about 4 months ago) since Hurricane Ian tore up our community pretty good. The snorkeling out at Little Money wasn't very good at all. Lots and lots of big thick algae growing over everything. We saw this a couple of time in the past, after a Hurricane Maria and after a serious cold snap that killed thousands of fish. It seemed to take the area 6 to 18 months to get back to normal.

The Horseshoe was as good or better than ever. No algae issues. Please let us know how the snorkeling is for you. We will be in Albuquerque, NM for a Balloon Fiesta, a total eclipse and a tour of The Valley of Dreams on a Navajo Indian Reservation. But we plan to get down to the Keys after we get back and before the water cools off too much.

BTW, we were in MT in April doing a Road Scholar trip that was a photography tour. We had a great time and they really kept us busy. Our guide is a professional wildlife photographer. Here are a few of my photos from the day we spent in the Lamar Valley .

DSCN2598 R2 19 x 13.jpg AADSCN4992 R2 19 x 13.jpg DSCN4074 R1.jpg DSCN4906 R1.jpg

Last edited:

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics Ron! We had a good time at the Horseshoe. Picked up plenty of snails, starfish, and Emerald Crabs. On the east side of the east leg, about halfway out, I found Emeralds under almost every rock. It was crazy. On the west leg there was almost nothing. Opposite of the way it was two years ago. One cool thing we found was multiple Mantis Shrimp which was very exciting. Could have taken one, but I didn't have a separate tank to put one in. They are fast but I had one in my hand net but had to let him go. Fun times.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I found time as we were are still burnt out in the sleep division with time changes but vacation was a blast. Our highlight was obviously Hawaii but talk about expensive !! Nevertheless, it was well worth it, weather was awesome opposed to Florida weather which was excessive with heat. As promised , I am posting pics of Hawaii, and location was Kealakekua Bay at Captain Cook monument. We stayed the last two days at Aston Kona by the sea and highly recommended.
The boat tour to the underwater location was through Viator and was $116 per Person. Sunsets were about 7p daily. They had great coffee and we loved the coffee shack which offered a fantastic ocean view and delicious Coconut coffee. Honl's Beach was a nice setting. Breakfast sandwich with coffee was $20. We took a recommended Capt. Cook Kona dinner cruise. Great time and atmosphere but $158.PP and tips.
Enough of the expense part. BTW- We would/will do it again. Next year is a cruise again and Jamaica.
As promised- Pics. We took lots. Being that this camera was new and new to me, we were unsure how they would turn out. I am glad we bought our old one as we quickly used up the memory card thinking it would be plenty. we took personal pics which used up a bit of the memory. As you are about to see, it takes Fantastic and clear pics and these are unedited pics.
What did we see:
Purple tangs
White cheek tangs
spinner dolphin
Regal tangs
grunts
red squirrelfish
Cleaner wrasses
racoon butterflies
ornate butterflies
various parrots
Hundreds of yellow tangs - what shortage?? and they were between 5 and 11 inches round
Threadfin butterflies
Regal angels
Jumbo orange shoulder tangs
Many more . . . . .

Some pics blurry as we again had to try various settings. A couple land pics were in Oahu

1691632663854.png 1691632680794.png 1691632694214.png

1691632530716.png 1691632544570.png 1691632564517.png 1691632611194.png
1691633476458.png
1691633204360.png 1691633221772.png 1691633242454.png 1691633261126.png 1691633302027.png 1691633353415.png 1691633372954.png 1691633531676.png 1691633556055.png

Notice the algae all over his shell

1691633630110.png

Here comes the tang gang to eat that algae:

1691633939115.jpeg 1691633979195.jpeg 1691634021866.jpeg 1691634043224.png 1691634089882.png 1691634110496.png 1691634133100.png

Florida pics to follow. Need to find my MicroSD adapter.
When you were on the Big Island, were you able to go to Two Steps, south of Captain Cook or Beach 69 up north? Two Steps, I believe, has the best corals on the Island.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I've lived here for 24 years and get to a handful of beaches. I probably average a beach visit at least once a week. I've seen a dozen or more areas on various beaches where turtles have buried eggs and have been marked out to keep people away. But I've never seen a turtle digging the hole or the kids hatching out and making for the water. BTW, I believe that usually happens at night.
Hi
Thought id jump over here so wasnt hi-jacking the other thread.
Yes its a nighttime thing , I got to see it when I lived in Australia at a place called Mon Repos just happed upon it at the right time while driving around the country.
It was really cool something you dont forget.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Thought id jump over here so wasnt hi-jacking the other thread.
Yes its a nighttime thing , I got to see it when I lived in Australia at a place called Mon Repos just happed upon it at the right time while driving around the country.
It was really cool something you dont forget.
Very cool. Were you just visiting in Australia or did you live there? It's on my Bucket List to visit.

If you have any questions about SW Florida or the Keys, just ask and I'll do my best to try and help.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Were you just visiting in Australia or did you live there? It's on my Bucket List to visit.

If you have any questions about SW Florida or the Keys, just ask and I'll do my best to try and help.

I lived there for about two years just outside Sydney in a place called Richmond at the base of the blue mountains. Kind of rural but not to far from anything. Traveled all over the country while I was there its amazing beautiful place. Very nice bunch over there.
So is there any snorkeling in Sanibel island ?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived there for about two years just outside Sydney in a place called Richmond at the base of the blue mountains. Kind of rural but not to far from anything. Traveled all over the country while I was there its amazing beautiful place. Very nice bunch over there.
So is there any snorkeling in Sanibel island ?
Not really. The beaches there are known for the shelling. And after a cold front goes through (only a few during the winter months) there are some live critters washed up on the beach. I collect baseball size, soft orange sponges and tear them apart (they are dead anyway after being out of the water). But inside, where it's wet, very young pistol shrimp, small porcelain crabs (filter feeders) and very small serpent stars. The shrimp and crabs do OK but the small serpent stars are very vulnerable to being dried out without being immersed in water rather than just wet.

For any snorkeling that is more than just getting wet and looking at a mostly sandy bottom, you need to go to the Keys. Penekamp State Park on Key Largo is at the north end of the Keys and has some snorkeling off the beach, but also has charter boats that go out to the big reefs offshore. That's well worth it if you haven't ever snorkeled over a reef. Which brings up the question; did you ever do any snorkeling in Australia?

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. The beaches there are known for the shelling. And after a cold front goes through (only a few during the winter months) there are some live critters washed up on the beach. I collect baseball size, soft orange sponges and tear them apart (they are dead anyway after being out of the water). But inside, where it's wet, very young pistol shrimp, small porcelain crabs (filter feeders) and very small serpent stars. The shrimp and crabs do OK but the small serpent stars are very vulnerable to being dried out without being immersed in water rather than just wet.

For any snorkeling that is more than just getting wet and looking at a mostly sandy bottom, you need to go to the Keys. Penekamp State Park on Key Largo is at the north end of the Keys and has some snorkeling off the beach, but also has charter boats that go out to the big reefs offshore. That's well worth it if you haven't ever snorkeled over a reef. Which brings up the question; did you ever do any snorkeling in Australia?
Thank you for all the info. Beach combing will prob work for this trip :)
I did snorkel the reef in Queensland when I lived In Australia. It was cool,,,very long boat ride to get out to it though and I never checked about snorkeling around Sydney or any places local to where I lived I was mostly fishing on my free time....best fishing ive ever done was in Australia! On one day trip out of broome Australia I caught mackerel, giant trevally, tuna, 8 foot bronze whaler shark and a 7 foot sail fish. One of the best days of my life lol

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman

Where do you snorkel off the beach at John Pennekamp?

1706906126965.png
They have a protected area of beach for snorkeling. Or at least they used to. Hurricanes may have changed that. Their website should have so info.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Ron just caught a random facebook post stating the Bailey shell museum just re-opened...had no idea that Ian screwed it up but i should have expected it....pretty drastic way to get rid of the xenia in the display tank...

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit surprised that the lower level, where the aquariums are, is open. But the upper level which is the museum and shell displays won't open for a few more months. But admission is only $10.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back