Snorkeling with manatees

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lowsingle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lowsingle

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
856
Reaction score
272
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was on vacation last week in Bradenton and I went snorkeling with manatees on the Crystal river and thought I would share some pictures (I wasn't sure which forum to post this in). Definitely a great time and I recommend this to anyone if they get a chance. First picture is my wife and I petting a juvenile:

DSC01503.jpg


The second picture is that same manatee going up to the boat to be pet by my parents:

DSC01511.jpg


The last picture is one of the manatee rolling over to get pet on the belly (Kind of like a dog):

DSC01500.jpg


In this pic you can see the line that separates the restricted areas from the open snorkeling area. This allows the manatees to interact with people only when they want to. In 15 years of diving I have never seen a wild animal so interested in humans. Manatees have no wild predators so they are extremely docile and quite gentle. This has to rank with one of my best wildlife experiences of all time.

cheers,
Darren
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new