Snowflake eel compatible for my 55 gal long?

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to buy a small snowflake eel to put in my 55 gallon long fowlr tank. At the moment I have two Occelaris clowns, one is about 2.5" and the other is 1", and one firefish goby that is about 3.5" along with a handful of small hermits. I realize the hermits will slowly dissapear with the eel, but I'd like to keep the fish alive. Will the eel kill off the clowns or firefish? Is there anything else that I can put in the tank that will clean as good as the hermits? I have about 50 pounds of live rock and a small chunk of chaeto Macro algae. I think I'll add a two inch pvc pipe with an elbow as a good cave in the LR. I would definatly appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thank you!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel will eat anything that fit it mouth even snowflake eels is a pebble toothy eel, so your clown fish or any small size fishes might be disappear 1 day, most tall body fishes should be fine but your tank is 55G so the choice is limited.
The giant hermit crab might be safe but then it will eat anything it can catch and its also get huge.
Cleaner shrimp should be safe since all my eels leave those cleaner shrimps alone, also keep your eel well fed might avoid it target tank mates for dinner but its not guarantee that would work.
*Note that each eel has it own personality so sometime you see it works for other folks but not going to work for you, keep that in mind and be ready in case thing go side ways unexpected.

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it has a tight lid they like to escape keep him well fed that's what Iv done with my snowflake he's a model citizen. Many many fish smaller than him and he hasn't bothered anybody as he's about 18 inches long. I am missing a few crabs but o well part of it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eels are usually ok with fish established before them, especially if the eel is a small specimen.

Tuxedo and halloween urchins, and serpent or brittle stars can be good cuc.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back