Snowflake eel only wants mysis.

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and thank you for reading this. About 2 weeks ago my snowflake eel stopped eating and I believe this was due to stress. He outgrew his old cave and the bigger caves that my zebra eel chills in are not big enough for the both of them. Eventually he knocked over some rocks and made himself a bigger cave and started showing interest in food. The problem is he only wants mysis shrimp now. He used to eat fresh prawns, squid, clam meat and crab.

Is there anyway to get him eating his normal food again? I don’t think mysis is nutritious enough for a growing eel.

Both eels are in an 80g (48x24x17) currently but they are getting moved this weekend to my new tank (72x30x15).

snowflake eel is 10 - 12inches
Zebra eel is 21-24 inches.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer some live ghost shrimp, that should get him excited and re-establish his feeding response.

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer some live ghost shrimp, that should get him excited and re-establish his feeding response.
Thanks for the advice! I called around all the local fish stores and they don’t carry ghost shrimp so I’m out luck when it comes to that. Any other ideas?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I called around all the local fish stores and they don’t carry ghost shrimp so I’m out luck when it comes to that. Any other ideas?

Like you mentioned, I'm sure his temperament changed when he outgrew his cave, the new tank should settle him down, but even after the move he may still be moody for a while. A live food offering is something that usually gets an eel triggered. You could also offer a live peppermint shrimp, I was just trying to save you money. I'm surprised no one carries ghosties, do you have a Petsmart, they even have them where I live. He's probably too small for a fiddler crab, but fiddler crabs are another live food that can be offered to pebbletooth eels.

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you mentioned, I'm sure his temperament changed when he outgrew his cave, the new tank should settle him down, but even after the move he may still be moody for a while. A live food offering is something that usually gets an eel triggered. You could also offer a live peppermint shrimp, I was just trying to save you money. I'm surprised no one carries ghosties, do you have a Petsmart, they even have them where I live. He's probably too small for a fiddler crab, but fiddler crabs are another live food that can be offered to pebbletooth eels.
I’ll be honest I didn’t even think about checking petsmart so I went and yep you were right they had some! The advice worked and it got my eel eating again. Thanks for the help :)

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I get mine from aquaculture nursery farms. A little pricey with shipping, but I have a 20 set up that I keep them in and feed from there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back