Snowflake eel

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is everyones thought about keeping a snowflake eel in a 55. Also is there any fish you would stay away from? Like blennies or gobies?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 would be the minimum I'd keep one in with tankmates but a 55 should be doable. Most fish tankmates will be safe until the SFE hits the 2' mark and then the "cigar/pencil" shaped fish will be at risk--Firefish, gobies, blennies, jawfish... The 2' length seems to be the magic size when SFE turn on tankmates.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 would be the minimum I'd keep one in with tankmates but a 55 should be doable. Most fish tankmates will be safe until the SFE hits the 2' mark and then the "cigar/pencil" shaped fish will be at risk--Firefish, gobies, blennies, jawfish... The 2' length seems to be the magic size when SFE turn on tankmates.
Thanks my dad actually had a snowflake and never bothered anyone although it was in a 180 gallon so thanks for the info!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem with a snowflake in a 55g as long as you can manage the filtration. An algae reactor would be a good addition to help with the high waste the eel will produce. I'd be careful and very limiting in tankmates, if you start the eel out on the smaller side it would be advantageous. A nice looking orange or red tail filefish comes to mind. I'd built a nice cavern of caves, you'll find they really don't free swim much unless they are very hungry.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem with a snowflake in a 55g as long as you can manage the filtration. An algae reactor would be a good addition to help with the high waste the eel will produce. I'd be careful and very limiting in tankmates, if you start the eel out on the smaller side it would be advantageous. A nice looking orange or red tail filefish comes to mind. I'd built a nice cavern of caves, you'll find they really don't free swim much unless they are very hungry.
Im looking at getting a small one ( about the size of a pencil). They are just so cool especially when you just see there head poke out of a crevice and just hang out. Watching them hunt food down is always fun. Thanks for the reply

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back