Snowflake eel

N2theUnknown

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2018
Messages
460
Reaction score
216
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is everyones thought about keeping a snowflake eel in a 55. Also is there any fish you would stay away from? Like blennies or gobies?
 
75 would be the minimum I'd keep one in with tankmates but a 55 should be doable. Most fish tankmates will be safe until the SFE hits the 2' mark and then the "cigar/pencil" shaped fish will be at risk--Firefish, gobies, blennies, jawfish... The 2' length seems to be the magic size when SFE turn on tankmates.
 
75 would be the minimum I'd keep one in with tankmates but a 55 should be doable. Most fish tankmates will be safe until the SFE hits the 2' mark and then the "cigar/pencil" shaped fish will be at risk--Firefish, gobies, blennies, jawfish... The 2' length seems to be the magic size when SFE turn on tankmates.
Thanks my dad actually had a snowflake and never bothered anyone although it was in a 180 gallon so thanks for the info!
 
I don't see a problem with a snowflake in a 55g as long as you can manage the filtration. An algae reactor would be a good addition to help with the high waste the eel will produce. I'd be careful and very limiting in tankmates, if you start the eel out on the smaller side it would be advantageous. A nice looking orange or red tail filefish comes to mind. I'd built a nice cavern of caves, you'll find they really don't free swim much unless they are very hungry.
 
I don't see a problem with a snowflake in a 55g as long as you can manage the filtration. An algae reactor would be a good addition to help with the high waste the eel will produce. I'd be careful and very limiting in tankmates, if you start the eel out on the smaller side it would be advantageous. A nice looking orange or red tail filefish comes to mind. I'd built a nice cavern of caves, you'll find they really don't free swim much unless they are very hungry.
Im looking at getting a small one ( about the size of a pencil). They are just so cool especially when you just see there head poke out of a crevice and just hang out. Watching them hunt food down is always fun. Thanks for the reply
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new