So apparently all coral plugs are different sizes? This hobby really eats at me sometimes lol.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some junk brand eshopps coral frag rack only to find out all my ceramic plugs don't fit in the small holes. You would think all these nudniks in the reef industry would figure out a way to standardize these things?

Like seriously, now I have to buy plastic plugs just for my frag rack? I have always hated how ugly tanks look when people jam giant plugs on their rocks; I have always taken the frags off the plugs even if it meant killing an $80 frag. I don't allow plugs on my nice rock work, so I guess i'll go back to ripping them off plugs and laying them on egg crate in the sandbed. :(

I was hoping to have a place to acclimate my frags to my lighting before they find a perm home on the rocks. I have never "light" acclimated my frags and stuck them straight to their perm spots...now I know why. Why change what works...

Just mad at all the junk in this industry.

That's what I get for buying eshopps I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some junk brand eshopps coral frag rack only to find out all my ceramic plugs don't fit in the small holes. You would think all these nudniks in the reef industry would figure out a way to standardize these things?

Like seriously, now I have to buy plastic plugs just for my frag rack? I have always hated how ugly tanks look when people jam giant plugs on their rocks; I have always taken the frags off the plugs even if it meant killing an $80 frag. I don't allow plugs on my nice rock work, so I guess i'll go back to ripping them off plugs and laying them on egg crate in the sandbed. :(

I was hoping to have a place to acclimate my frags to my lighting before they find a perm home on the rocks. I have never "light" acclimated my frags and stuck them straight to their perm spots...now I know why. Why change what works...

Just mad at all the junk in this industry.

That's what I get for buying eshopps I guess.

lol I have one too. Hell the magnets won't even hold on my tank.

Joes Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you also run into where people have giant plugs that will fit egg crate but won't go in the acrylic racks. Like the size of Ora plugs

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File May 07, 11 51 43 AM.jpeg
Make your own...

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite frag racks are by this seller on eBay. They are made of clear acrylic so they don't make your tank look crappy and the magnets are really strong. I have 2 of them in different shapes and sizes. The best part is they are really really well priced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111201272859

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill the holes bigger. you'll also soon be adding stronger magnets. I do believe i have gone thru four brands of racks only to build one the right way my self out of left over algae cleaning magnets and egg crate like the above post recommended.

Clear acrylic ends up covered in coraline pretty quick anyway. Time to get crafty!!!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes frag plug shaft size should be standard. It is just nutty to have all these different sizes. I think this happens because the people making the plugs are basement manufacturers and so they are poping them out without any idea of what they should be.

Zoarderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I won't pay for a frag rack. We DIY ours with a sheet of acrylic, fishing line and clear plastic hooks. Works like a charm.

20170524_104419_HDR.jpg

Back