So happy, Copperband is eating frozen

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my LFS to find a solution for my aiptasia problem. I already tried some nudibranch, but they just disappeared in my aquarium and didn't make a dent in my aiptasia problem. I was planning to get some peppermint shrimps at the LFS but when I saw the Copperband display and I fell in love. I asked the sales person if any of the copperbands are eating frozen yet, but he said they've only arrive 3 days ago and have only been treated with meds, no food yet. On impulse I bought a small Copperband that I saw pecking at the rockwork.

Day 1
- drip acclimated him for a few hours then put him in an acclimating box in my display
- I also put some rubble with aiptasia and bristle worms in the acclimating box, he went straight for the bristle worms but ignored the aiptasia

Day 2
- put a frozen clam that I partially open in the acclimating box, it took him 30 mins before he attacked the clam meat with gusto

Day 3
- took the clam out of the acclimating box
- made a very simple feeder for my copperband (its basically a Salifert testing kit beaker with 6 holes drilled in the bottom and foam glued at the top)
- filled the beaker with chopped up clams and frozen mysis and put it in the acclimating box
- it took a while but the copperband finally started feeding from my feeder
PXL_20230901_012638262~2.jpg

Day 4
- released the Copperband into my display
- since he was in the acclimating box for a few days, the other fish where use to him and only my flame angel showed a little agression to him
- he fit right in and started hunting the rocks for bristle worms
- when I fed my tank with my home made frozen food, I put a little bit in the Copperband's feeder, he ignored the food in the water column but went right for his feeder, I did see him pick a few small morsel right from the water column when his feeder was empty

Day 5
- Copperband still looking good and still hunting the rocks for food
- today when I fed my tank my frozen food, I didn't put in his special feeder but to my surprise he fed on the food in the water column with the other fish. SUCCESS!

PXL_20230901_010325982~2.jpg

I'm so happy that he is feeding and fitting into my tank. A Copperband is one of the fish on my bucket list to own. Such a beautiful and active fish.

Now if only he would start eating some of my aiptasia...

OP
OP
F

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOO-HOO! He's eating aptasia now!! He's only eating the really small aptasia but my syringe and lemon juice can take care of the big ones.

I'm so happy with this purchase. I'm surprised everyone doesn't have a copperband in their tank especially if you have aptasia.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's working out for you. I am curious about your nudibranch experience. How many did you buy and how long have them been in your system? I bought 20 from reeftown and put 10 in one of my tanks and another 10 in my sump. My tanks were getting overrun with aiptasia. They cleared it all up, but it took about 6 to 8 weeks. They even migrated to the other tank which is also hooked up to the same sump and cleared that one too.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t tried a CB in long time. Poor arrivals and acclimations many years ago but great success brother. I know the excitement and my YBR is now on nyos goji and goji algae pellets mixed w pe mysis, clams and angel formula

OP
OP
F

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's working out for you. I am curious about your nudibranch experience. How many did you buy and how long have them been in your system? I bought 20 from reeftown and put 10 in one of my tanks and another 10 in my sump. My tanks were getting overrun with aiptasia. They cleared it all up, but it took about 6 to 8 weeks. They even migrated to the other tank which is also hooked up to the same sump and cleared that one too.
Maybe I didn't put enough in... I first put in 4, didn't see any effect after 2 months time so I suspected my striped blenny was eating them. I banished the striped blenny to the sump and bought another 4 nudi. After another 2 months, haven't seen any reduction in aptasia and haven't seen any nudis. Maybe I didn't put enough in, but up here in Canada, they are $30 a pop so are kind of expensive.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my LFS to find a solution for my aiptasia problem. I already tried some nudibranch, but they just disappeared in my aquarium and didn't make a dent in my aiptasia problem. I was planning to get some peppermint shrimps at the LFS but when I saw the Copperband display and I fell in love. I asked the sales person if any of the copperbands are eating frozen yet, but he said they've only arrive 3 days ago and have only been treated with meds, no food yet. On impulse I bought a small Copperband that I saw pecking at the rockwork.

Day 1
- drip acclimated him for a few hours then put him in an acclimating box in my display
- I also put some rubble with aiptasia and bristle worms in the acclimating box, he went straight for the bristle worms but ignored the aiptasia

Day 2
- put a frozen clam that I partially open in the acclimating box, it took him 30 mins before he attacked the clam meat with gusto

Day 3
- took the clam out of the acclimating box
- made a very simple feeder for my copperband (its basically a Salifert testing kit beaker with 6 holes drilled in the bottom and foam glued at the top)
- filled the beaker with chopped up clams and frozen mysis and put it in the acclimating box
- it took a while but the copperband finally started feeding from my feeder
PXL_20230901_012638262~2.jpg

Day 4
- released the Copperband into my display
- since he was in the acclimating box for a few days, the other fish where use to him and only my flame angel showed a little agression to him
- he fit right in and started hunting the rocks for bristle worms
- when I fed my tank with my home made frozen food, I put a little bit in the Copperband's feeder, he ignored the food in the water column but went right for his feeder, I did see him pick a few small morsel right from the water column when his feeder was empty

Day 5
- Copperband still looking good and still hunting the rocks for food
- today when I fed my tank my frozen food, I didn't put in his special feeder but to my surprise he fed on the food in the water column with the other fish. SUCCESS!

PXL_20230901_010325982~2.jpg

I'm so happy that he is feeding and fitting into my tank. A Copperband is one of the fish on my bucket list to own. Such a beautiful and active fish.

Now if only he would start eating some of my aiptasia...
Nice!!! Always a great day when you a hard to feed fish on frozen! Beautiful fish and you reef is just well no words! Awesome!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOO-HOO! He's eating aptasia now!! He's only eating the really small aptasia but my syringe and lemon juice can take care of the big ones.

I'm so happy with this purchase. I'm surprised everyone doesn't have a copperband in their tank especially if you have aptasia.
I totally feel your excitement as mine is the same except mine will also eat any acan or scoly but leaves all other corals alone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back